*7 Quick Takes*

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on August 6, 2010

1 - Do any of you use music to combat pain in labor? I thought I might try it this time around (strangely enough, I never have before) and am looking for feedback. Would you stop by my post at Faith and Family Live if you have any recommendations to share with me? Thanks, girls!

Oh, and how cool is this? Maggie has been blogging about this very same thing over at her blog! She’s received some excellent advice. I do believe I’ll be adding the Rocky theme song to my own playlist. Brilliant!

2 – I don’t know why I convince myself at the end of every single pregnancy that I will want to be surrounded by sweet aromas, flickering candles and whatnot during labor but yes, I’m doing it again. The truth is that I will probably have absolutely no awareness of my surroundings at all and shouldn’t waste my precious resources on such frivolous things but indulge me. What is your must-have item for labor?

3 - Speaking of labor (yes, I know that’s pretty much all I talk about these days–my apologies)…I’m due on Labor Day! Cool, huh? What’s not so cool is that it took me this long to realize it. I’m a little slow on the uptake these days. I know for most people the odds are that they won’t actually deliver on their due date but three out of my four little ones have actually managed to accomplish that very difficult feat. We shall see what this little one has in mind. If she must come early, I won’t try to talk her out of it. But, on the other hand, if she must come late…no. Just no.

4 - Well, what do you know? I’ve been tagged! Aw, I feel so loved! Simcha tagged me to participate in the My 5 Favorite Catholic Devotions thingy that’s been making its way around the blogosphere. I know I must have at least five favorite devotions but my lame pregnant brain doesn’t want to access those memories right now. As I told Simcha, the only devotion I am regularly practicing these days is the one where I lay my gigantic pregnant body on the cold kitchen tile and moan, “Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.” All in all not a bad prayer, but that’s about all I’ve got for you right now. Am I still allowed to tag others if I didn’t complete my list? Maybe these girls will pick up the mantle for me:

Abigail of Abigail’s Alcove
Sarah of This Heavenly Life
Rachel of Testosterhome
Arwen of ABC Family
Jordana of Curmudgeonry
Colleen of Footprints on the Fridge
Caitie of Lady Caitie in the Pretty City
Elisa of Elisa Loves

So, girls…what are your five favorite devotions?

5 - So, um…y’all have met my husband. He’s terrible, isn’t he? ;)

Thanks for giving him such a warm welcome. I do believe I’ll have to him back one of these days. Of course, that is if he has time for little ol’ me. Rumor has it he’s starting up his very own blog which promises to be far more entertaining than my own
. I’ll keep you posted!

6 - Oh, and just a reminder…the Shabby Apple Giveaway ends Monday at noon! Don’t forget to enter! I’ll announce the winner Monday evening.

7 - Ice cream makes me happy. That is all.

Stroll on over to Conversion Diary to check out more of these fun *7 Quick Takes* entries. Thank you, Jen! You’re the hostess with the mostest!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Young Mom August 6, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I've never used music during labor, honestly I think it would just piss me off. The item I wouldn't want to do without? Um, Gatorade, and definetely water to labor in, as in a pool or tub. And my third was born the day after labor day last year!

Betty Beguiles August 6, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I'm with you–I have never labored without Gatorade. It is definitely on my must-have list.

I always start labor in the tub but this will be the first time I have access to a birth pool. I'm really excited about it. :)

Emily August 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Strange but true- must have labor tool is word searches. Not hard ones, just enough of a challenge to keep my mind busy.

And I loved the tub with my first but didn't use it for my second and third!

melody August 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Ah….water!! I love laboring in the tub! It really does make a difference. And my husband…he's a must have:) He marches in like he owns the place, hangs a crucifix, protects me from grumpy nurses, finds the closet with the extra pillows and never forgets the bottle of Tylenol from home (so that we don't have to pay $8 a pill).

My little guy is due on All Saints' Day which means he has to have at least 20 names, right?

You're date is so close! Sending up an Ave for you right now.

Betty Beguiles August 7, 2010 at 12:09 am

My apologies to all of you who read this post earlier today. I put it up and only later noticed all the typos (no, three of my children were NOT actually born on Labor Day) but Blogger was being mean and wouldn't let me access the post to edit it. Blah. I'm going back to bed now. ;)

MJDMom August 7, 2010 at 2:25 am

My must have item? A list of prayer intentions for each big contraction. It helps me stay focused. That and ice chips. So Betty inquiring minds want to know….what do you do post partum with all your cute dresses? I salivate over the links but they aren't practical for me on a daily basis due to that fact they are a pain in the rear to nurse in. I am curious if you have any nursing mom fashion thoughts. Good luck with these last days!

Betty Beguiles August 7, 2010 at 2:31 am

MJDMom — Well, I try not to leave the house too often if I can help it. ;)

All kidding aside, I usually opt for a simple knee length skirt paired with a t-shirt (and cardigan and tights if it's cold). I like to wear a camisole underneath so I can just lift the t-shirt and lower the top of the cami to nurse. I've never really gotten into official nursing wear.

Thanks for the tips! :)

Martha August 7, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I feel like I've been missing out! I'm on #7, and I've never had any of those things. We live in a tiny town, where for the first 3 they wouldn't even let me have a drink (think 12 hour labor- it's cruel and unusual). Ice chips I've had for the last two, but it's just cold Delivery Room, ridiculously glaring lights, and gowned scary people. The end. I guess it worked. Should I be demanding more for my seventh experience? Are you ladies birthing at home? Who lets you have candles? Does the water make it easier?

Sorry for all the questions- just never heard of any such craziness!

I do remember in the 'Trapp Family Singers' book that Maria labored at home while everyone prayed the rosary nice and loud… they even broke into the 'Hallelujah' chorus when they heard the cry. Nice.

Karen August 27, 2010 at 1:58 am

"the only devotion I am regularly practicing these days is the one where I lay my gigantic pregnant body on the cold kitchen tile and moan, “Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.” "

This had me actually laughing out loud (I can so relate) and when my husband asked what I was laughing about, he also thought you were pretty darn funny. (I just delivered our second baby on August 4th, so I am only now catching up on your blog.) Good luck with the end of the pregnancy and your labor! I'm sure your 7th quick take helps pass the time. :)