FREE e-Booklet: Dressing with Intention

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on January 9, 2012

Starting Bloom Personal Shopping was easily one of the highlights of 2011 for me. Style consulting has always been a passion of mine and it was such a pleasure to translate that into a small business this past year. Over and over again I have seen how much joy a woman can derive from having a wardrobe full of clothes that she can delight in, that give her confidence, and that highlight her loveliness and make her feel beautiful. It’s truly an honor to play a part in helping women achieve this goal.

Ask any personal shopper, though, and she will tell you that what goes on behind the scenes is incredibly time-consuming and labor intensive. Because of this, my Personal Shopping packages are not inexpensive. Add to that my limited availability and I, sadly, don’t get to work with all of the women with whom I might otherwise have the opportunity to collaborate.

Because of this, I’ve decided to create a series of free e-Booklets that will help you to makeover your wardrobe on your own. These e-Booklets obviously won’t be as personalized as my packages are–and you’ll have to do your own shopping, of course–but hopefully they will make the process run more smoothly and be more enjoyable.

The first e-Booklet I’ve created, Dressing with Intention, tackles the topic of intentionality. It will guide through five simple steps (spread out over five days) that will help you to create a plan of attack for making over your wardrobe. As with everything in life, planning is half the battle!

To snag this first e-Booklet in the series, just subscribe to my RSS feed in a reader (such as Google Reader or Bloglines). The download is available on the bottom of each post in the feed (see screenshot below).

I hope this helps!

Love!

P.S. If you find this e-Booklet helpful, I would love it if you’d share this post on Twitter, Facebook, and/or your blog, etc. Thank you!

Kendra @ The Nerdy Wife January 9, 2012 at 11:42 am

Oh this is so sweet of you, thanks!
Kendra @ The Nerdy Wife recently posted..The Baby’s Room: Before PicturesMy Profile

Betty Beguiles January 9, 2012 at 11:58 am

My pleasure! I had a lot of fun creating it!
Betty Beguiles recently posted..FREE e-Booklet: Dressing with IntentionMy Profile

Jesabes January 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Wow, I didn’t even know you could add a link just to the RSS feed! I was rather impressed when I got to the bottom of my feed and the link was there (not that I thought it wouldn’t be). I’m excited to read the booklet!
Jesabes recently posted..Miss MMy Profile

Betty Beguiles January 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Isn’t that cool? I just learned about it myself. :)

Jennifer Fitz January 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Just read it – loved it. Well done! I’ve been thrown lately by having to start buying for new situations I don’t really understand yet. It’s a lot of trial-and-error as I figure out what works as my body and my professional life is changing (both at same time – ugh!). It’s ending up with a lot of “I think what I need is: _______”, go buy it, try it, discover I’m right about half the time. The other half is a little discouraging.

Betty Beguiles January 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Thanks, Jennifer!

That is tough! Would sticking to a very simple wardrobe until you get more clarity on your needs work? That’s what I always do when I’m experiencing change in my life. :)

Jennifer Fitz January 10, 2012 at 4:41 pm

That’s what I’m going for. It’s still so much more complicated than I expected! You know, like “basic black business-y-skirt”. How hard is that? You’d think simple. Mmmn. No. Years of jeans-n-t-shirts is seriously showing. I’ll figure it out though, no worries.
Jennifer Fitz recently posted..3.5 Time Outs: Girl TopicsMy Profile

Erika Ahern January 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love this! It’s going to help so much. I especially love the color palette suggestion. I fluctuate between buying only neutrals and then buying only crazy polka dots…
Erika Ahern recently posted..All gifts that are given.My Profile

Betty Beguiles January 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Oh, that makes me so happy! Thank you! The color thing is probably the number one stumbling block most women face in creating a closet full of clothes that compliment one another. But don’t turn your back on the marvelous polka dots just yet! Just make sure that their color compliments your neutral! ;)

Allie January 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

These are wonderful suggestions! I’m in the midst of starting a job that requires me to dress a bit better than I currently do as a student, so it’ll be useful to have this guide as I go through to put together some outfits.
Allie recently posted..70 Basilicas in 66 Cities!My Profile

Betty Beguiles January 9, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thanks, Allie! Congratulations on the new job!

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy January 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Ooooo how exciting! I’m already a subscriber so I’ll pop over to my Reader to take a peek :)
Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy recently posted..It’s Giveaway Week at Modern Mrs Darcy!My Profile

Bonnie January 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Oh, I cannot wait to read this later once the littles are sleeping! This is exactly what I need– after having two kids in two years, I now have this muffin top that I don’t know what to do with :( my biggest challenge so far is jeans. Thanks for this!

Andrea January 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I just subscribed, when can I get the new E-Book. Can’t wait to read it. :)
Andrea recently posted..Winners!My Profile

Kayla @ The alluring world January 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Thank you! I can’t wait to put this on my Kindle!
Kayla @ The alluring world recently posted..Prayer for Unity of FaithMy Profile

Elise January 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Okay, I subscribed, I got the email, and I still don’t see the e-book. What am I doing wrong??

Betty Beguiles January 9, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Unfortunately, the PDF is not attached to email subscriptions (one of these days I’ll figure out how to do that, too!). You need to subscribe through a reader such as Google Reader. Sorry about that!

Elise Graveline Hilton January 10, 2012 at 11:08 am

No, I mean I’m not seeing at the bottom of the post in the feed, despite being subscribed. Am I missing a step?
Elise Graveline Hilton recently posted..But that’s so mean!My Profile

Betty Beguiles January 10, 2012 at 11:15 am

Hmmmm…it should be there. Which reader are you using?
Betty Beguiles recently posted..Beautiful Joy: for youMy Profile

Andrea Summers January 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Excellent, I loved this and look forward to future. My big issue is changing sizes. I have just recently in the past year or so went to more neutrals adding fun colors to add it up. I also can never find jeans that are prized reasonable for a constant changing sizes. Thanks for this. I can’t wait for the book to come out soon!!!!!!!!
Andrea Summers recently posted..Winners!My Profile

Elisa | blissfulE January 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Planning is the step I want to skip, but it’s also the step I know I need to deal with to get started… wavering between the impulse to just buy SOMETHING and the fear of wasting that money has gotten me nowhere. Bless you for empowering me to take baby steps so I won’t feel so intimidated.
Elisa | blissfulE recently posted..a hat for MamaMy Profile

Ashley January 9, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I loved the e-booklet but I do have a question. Is brown not considered a neutral? I get so flustered trying to pick a neutral. Black seems easiest but it’s not my favorite or most flattering. I love brown and navy but I don’t have navy shoes…how do you pick? I tend to way overthink my clothing purchases and therefore have so little in my close, flattering or no!

Betty Beguiles January 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

Oh no! I forgot brown? My apologies! Brown is absolutely a neutral and a great option, too!
Betty Beguiles recently posted..Beautiful Joy: for youMy Profile

Martha January 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Any ideas for how to pick which colors are good on you? And does it change with lighting and other variables, or are ‘your’ colors always your colors? Maybe I need an outside opinion, as I can never really figure it out.

I feel that one of the main reasons I’ve never been ‘intentional’ when buying clothing is that I just don’t know what I look good in, and add that to the fact that there is so much clothing out there (the majority, I think), that is perfectly HORRID. Finding lovely things is truly a mission, thus your personal shopping business!

Martha January 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Oh, I was going to add that I have a friend who looks fabulous in apple green. She has many items in this color (usually as a splash, but sometimes the whole thing, like a raincoat), and it’s become her signature color. It’s wonderful! And so easy to shop for her, too!

MelanieB January 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

Reading this, I realized that I sort of stumbled onto the neutral and three colors system myself years ago. My closet is full of black and grey and white (black and grey are my fall/winter neutrals, white is my spring/summer neutral) and my colors are red, green, and blue. So now I’m feeling like I’m not doing so bad with the intentional dressing thing as far as color palette goes.

My biggest trouble right now is that when I go to buy tops I still have in my head the kind of thing that looked flattering on my pre-pregnancy/pre-breastfeeding figure. I used to wear a B-cup and now I’m D. That’s a huge jump and the kinds of tops that would look great on me pre-kids just look terrible now. My closet is full of t-shirts that look ok for daily wear but I have not figured out what kind of tops flatter my figure for dressier situations. Every Sunday as I’m dressing for Mass I’m so depressed because nothing really feels right for church. I don’t find that button-up blouses work well for me, the buttons always seem to gape. But most pull-over knits have too-low a neckline that I try to compensate for with lace-topped camis. Still, I’m never really satisfied by the effect. I feel frumpy when I want to feel lovely. Is there any hope for finding a few basic tops that work?

V May 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm

You can find tank tops with various kinds of pretty necklines that go under the henley or pull-over tops. Shells work sometimes, too, depending on the top. There are even streachy, lined, lace shells of various shades that contrast well with different low-neckline tops.
That way you can be attractive but still maintaining modesty. Because the lace top is form-fitting, it doesn’t gather in unsightly places, and it adds to the outer shirt rather than being an obvious “gap cover”