7 Quick Takes Friday

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on February 9, 2012

Welcome, Conversion Diary readers! I’m delighted that you’re here! If this is your first time visiting, please leave a comment. I’d love to “meet” you!

Post image for Creating a wardrobe that works for you

I was tickled pink to be given the opportunity to guest post over at Simple Mom this week. Simple Mom has long been one of my favorite blogs and Tsh, the owner and founder, is such a sweetheart (not to mention crazy talented). In my post I share some of my favorite tips for gaining control of an out-of-control wardrobe. Some of her awesome readers also left their own advice in the combox. If you have any tips of your own, I’d love it if you’d join the conversation!

I want to apologize to everyone who has contacted me with questions about the book. I’m replying as fast as I can (I promise!), but am still having trouble keeping up with it all. Please be patient with me as I make my way through all of your sweet emails! It does seem like several of you have similar questions, though, so I’m writing up a quick post with answers to the most commonly asked questions. If you have a question about the book, just leave it in the combox and I’ll try to include it in the post. Thanks, loves!

For those of you who missed it, I just uploaded my free Fill-in-the-Blanks Valentine’s Day Love Letter to my RSS feed. I hope it will make for an fun, easy project for anyone who is looking to express their affection but is short on time! You can find more information here!

Speaking of St. Valentine’s Day, have you heard of Tin Can Treats? I just spotted them over on Pinterest. I think they are so darling! And clever! I’m totally going to do this for my kids next week. Only, I need a glue gun first. Does anyone have any glue gun advice? It seems like there are a bunch of options at a variety of prices. What should I be looking for?

Sound Conditioner Sound Screen SleepMate Electro-Mechanical White Noise Machine

We just purchased this little beauty this week. I keep telling myself that I’m going to get up before the kids in the morning but they are such light sleepers that the moment my toes hit the floor so do theirs. So, I, um, just keep sleeping! What’s a girl to do? Anyway, I’m really hoping this will help. Does anyone have any other advice for keeping light sleepers sleeping?

I just purchased these blogger/business cards to bring with me to the various conferences I’ll be attending this year. I’m pretty smitten with them. If you’re looking for something similar check out Zazzle. They have a fantastic selection.

And because there can never be too much Gosling, I give you Vintage Ryan Gosling. Well, actually, Solanah of Vintage Vixen (one of my all-time favorite fashion bloggers), gives you Vintage Ryan Gosling. The Gosling goodness just keeps on giving!

Have a lovely weekend, friends!

‘);
// ]]>

Jessica Snell February 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Regarding your #5 – have you tried blackout curtains? I know it sounds like it’s the noise that’s the problem, but we found blackout curtains made a HUGE difference with our kids. You can make your own pretty cheaply if you buy the fabric and hem them yourself. And you can always put something prettier in front of them. :) But I swear, they’re magic for getting-up-early kids.

Beth Anne @ The Catholic Couponer Blog February 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Those business cards are SUPER cute! I just ordered business cards for my blog from Moo Cards! I love them!

All these “Hey Girl” Gosling Meme’s that have been roaming around the net/pinterest crack me up!
Beth Anne @ The Catholic Couponer Blog recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday {Volume 13}My Profile

Kerri February 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Hi Betty! New reader, coming over from conversion diary. Will be checking out your lovely blog soon. Thanks for hosting Quick Takes. I’ll have to check out Simple Mom and your post there, I need help in that department. And your book is on my reading list, looking forward to reading it one day!
Kerri recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday, vol. 36My Profile

Ellen Gable Hrkach February 9, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Hello Betty! Nice to meet you! I also have five children (except they’re all taller than me now!) I’m offering a 7 Quick Takes – Free Books Edition over at my blog! Thanks so much for hosting! God bless…
Ellen Gable Hrkach recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday – Free Books EditionMy Profile

Valerie @ Momma in Progress February 10, 2012 at 2:32 am

Thanks for hosting again this week. I find these Quick Takes posts so much fun to write and to read. Also, I’m somewhat amused that we both included a “take” about light sleepers and Ryan Gosling. Have a great weekend!
Valerie @ Momma in Progress recently posted..Why I Hate MNO (and What I Do Instead)My Profile

jen February 10, 2012 at 3:04 am

the tin can treats look awesome!
jen recently posted..7 Quick Takes — Mea Culpas, Susan G. Komen, and Marshmallow ShootersMy Profile

Erin February 10, 2012 at 4:33 am

HI Hallie
Thank you for hosting 7 Quick Takes:) I love the look of your blog.
Erin recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol 109)My Profile

TracyE February 10, 2012 at 6:28 am

1st. Love. This. Blog. Maybe I can do something with my wardrobe now.
2nd. When our kids were little, they were light sleepers and we starting closing their doors. It helped. (I still sleep with MINE open to hear them, but….)
3rd My little, inexpensive glue gun works just fine
4th Thanks for the Ryan Gosling hit, nice way to start the day! As for Pinterest, I find myself too overwhelmed and not ready to make the leap. yet. ;)
Blessings!
TracyE recently posted..Quickly…TGIF!!!My Profile

Carol@simple_catholic February 10, 2012 at 6:52 am

Hi, I’m a new reader from Conversion Diary, too. Thanks for hosting 7QT for Jen!

I have the same situation with my son. He’s actually not a light sleeper, but he has some kind of six-sense and always seems to wake up when I do, no matter how early! One thing that helps is that I have always had to use a fan as white noise for me to sleep, so I recently put a fan in his room and it has helped quite a bit. (The fan is facing the wall not the people.)
Carol@simple_catholic recently posted..7 Quick Takes: How to Find Free Books EditionMy Profile

Kate Wicker February 10, 2012 at 7:40 am

Thanks for hosting, Hallie.
Love the new business cards and enjoyed your great read over at Simple Mom.
And…I’m counting the days I get to see you, Jen, and so many other amazing women at the Behold Conference.
Kate Wicker recently posted..7 Quick Takes: The “Of Breast & Women,” Discernment, & More EditionMy Profile

Wendy February 10, 2012 at 8:01 am

Thanks Betty for hosting 7 quick takes. I always love to hear what you and Jen have to say.
As for early risers….we have a cheap summer fan that plays all night for our youngest. The slightest noise wakes her, she is 16 now and has been doing this for years. She also has a tendency to cover her head with the blankets. The fan is about 8 inches across and makes just enough noise to cover the sounds of the tv, vacuum, and any other machinery I need to use. Good luck with that issue.

Celeste Behe February 10, 2012 at 9:08 am

Ryan Gosling? Ho-hum. But those gorgeous pink business cards? Now, there’s a feast for the eyes!
Celeste Behe recently posted..Seven Quick TakesMy Profile

mamabearJD February 10, 2012 at 9:14 am

I was reading the #IuseNFP thread on Twitter last night and was thinking that NFP Ryan Gosling will be next! I’m waiting until the weekend to catch up on the closet post. We have early risers too, and even if the children stay sleeping, we have a Mastiff who will come and slurp your face to go out if you even think about moving after 4am – and believe me, you don’t deny a Mastiff her potty break – and then everyone is up! Sleeping machines for Mastiffs, that’s what I need!
mamabearJD recently posted..7 Quick Takes – 2.10.12My Profile

Christie Martin February 10, 2012 at 10:19 am

Thanks again for hosting the 7 Quick Takes this week. I’m no an expert on keeping the kids in bed in the morning. I think it’s a process–one we blow every time my husband and I make an exception. I can’t imagine this will be a problem when our kids will hit their teens. Meanwhile all these ideas are very stealable. Thanks everyone!

Molly February 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Love the vintage Ryan Gosling. As a 40′s reenactor (and vintage clothes wearer), this is just awesome.

I hope to meet you at the Behold Conference in March.

Steph @ Moving to MD February 10, 2012 at 10:31 am

Thanks for hosting Hallie! Nice to read your quick takes too. I’m going to check out your guest post about wardrobes. I could use some help in the department. :P
Steph @ Moving to MD recently posted..7 Quick Takes: A surprising amount of HIMYM takesMy Profile

The Licensed Fool February 10, 2012 at 10:31 am

#5 – Wow, I didn’t know you could get things like that! Cool.
The Licensed Fool recently posted..7 Quick Takes (Vol 7) The house-move editionMy Profile

Emily February 10, 2012 at 10:35 am

Gah my comment apparently didn’t send. Anyhoo!
Those business cards are amazing! So cute and so like your personality! I’ve never seen a “white noise” machine so that’s pretty cool! Let me know how it works!
Emily recently posted..7 Quick Takes (39)My Profile

Karianna @ Caffeinated Catholic Mama February 10, 2012 at 10:54 am

Thanks for Hosting again this week, Hallie!! I love your blog cards, the typewriter is perfect for you… as a Dell would not have been as cool. Let me know how the white noise machine goes for sure, and I’ve got my Valentine letter all ready, thanks to you!
Karianna @ Caffeinated Catholic Mama recently posted..Seven Quick Takes: Vol 25My Profile

GeekLady February 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I know your pain about the kids. Wednesday, GeekBaby heard me emptying the dishwasher from upstairs and on the other side of the house! I heard a “something’s HAPPENING! I gotta go see!” and a dududududuh of little feet, and then he was downstairs. At 5:13am. Thursday, I blew my nose in the kitchen, and that did it. Today, I woke up and he was already in my bed. I didn’t know it was possible for anyone to sleep so lightly.
GeekLady recently posted..7 Quick Takes – Monsoon EditionMy Profile

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy February 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Three cheers for white noise machines! We’re on our second one by Homedics and it has been an absolute lifesaver in our small house. The kids’ favorite setting is “thunderstorm.”

I love, love, LOVE your new business cards! They are perfect for you and so pretty! I hope I get to meet you in person one day so I can hold a real one in my hot little hand :)
Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy recently posted..Shy FashionMy Profile

Lisa Schmidt February 10, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Hey there pretty lady – let me know how that white noise machine is working for you.

See you in a few weeks in Peoria! :)
Lisa Schmidt recently posted..7 Quick Takes Friday: Post-Partum RandomnessMy Profile

Outfit31 February 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for the takes!!! Luved your closet tips!!! Lord knows, I can use each and every one of them!!!
Outfit31 recently posted..Comment on All American by adminMy Profile

bobbi February 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Thanks for hosting again, Hallie. I looove your business cards. So cute! The retro typewriter is the perfect touch. :-)
bobbi recently posted..7 Quick Takes (2/10/12): Golf, Valentines & Kevin JamesMy Profile

sarahlcc February 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm

The only things I can think of for the kids are darker curtains and keeping them up later, which have worked for mine.

Your business cards are incredibly cute! That Gosling fellow is probably the same age as some of my little brothers. He must be the latest ‘it’ guy, I’m guessing.
sarahlcc recently posted..Turtlenecks and MovingMy Profile

Louise February 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm

We use the SAME sound machine with our baby! We love it.
Sooo excited for your book to come out soon!

Dwija {House Unseen} February 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Ooooooh, business cards! That is a step I haven’t taken. They are so cute and must make you smile every time you see them. Love!

Jeanne G. February 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Nice business cards!

Thanks for hosting 7 Quick Takes!
Jeanne G. recently posted..Seven Quick Takes – Volume 33My Profile

JulianaB February 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm

We’ve used that particular model of noise machine for several years for the same reason and it is GREAT. I need to get a second one, as our kids are now getting numerous enough to spread out over two rooms.

Love the Ryan Gosling meme!!
JulianaB recently posted..Wardrobe: Revisited.My Profile

Kimberlie February 10, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I just discovered Simple Mom and Tsh. I am reading/working through her new book One Bite at a Time which I found through Jessica’s Life As Mom blog and her Booking It 2012 Challenge. Whew! Anyway, I am enjoying Tsh’s book a lot and while I thought at first I wouldn’t be able to do any of the projects because it just seemed so hard, I have already 1) streamlined my email, 2) made a debt-free plan because we are doing Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace U, 3) made a monthly budget for the same reason, 4) started menu planning using E-Mealz, and 4) started switching to gentle eco-friendly skin care products (I made a brown sugar and olive oil facial scrub last week – LOVE IT!). There are at least a dozen more projects I think I can realistically tackle.

RE: #6 – Those business cards are so much fun! Even though I am “just” a stay-at-home mom, I often think I need to have some type of card that has my contact information on it to give to people when we meet and want to exchange info. You know, kinda like Victorian society women would have where they’d go to people’s homes to visit and leave their card. :)

Not really a Gosling fan but find some Colin Firth meme’s and I’d be swooning. ;)
Kimberlie recently posted..7 Quick Takes Vol 29My Profile

Trisha Niermeyer Potter @ Prints of Grace February 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for hosting again this week. I agree that your business card is super-cute! I so wish I could join you ladies for the Behold Conference. I’m sure it will be a truly inspirational event!
Trisha Niermeyer Potter @ Prints of Grace recently posted..Tell Me the Truth, though It May Be DaringMy Profile

Jennifer February 11, 2012 at 9:44 am

Thanks for hosting again this week, can you believe I didn’t even get a minute to do 7 Quick Takes!! Some weeks are just hectic. Maybe I’ll manage a nice St Valentines Day post. I’ll enjoy everyone else’s 7 takes all the same.
About the glue gun, I made the mistake of buying a cheap one- it was useless and I couldn’t find where to get refills for it so it was a total waste of money. After that I bought a better quality gun and it’s been a great investment. Watch it with the little ones though- Very very hot!!
Jennifer xx
Jennifer recently posted..7 Quick Takes FridayMy Profile

Marcia February 11, 2012 at 10:58 am

#5 is in our little guys room. We use it everyday at nap time too. This way I’m not constantly shushing those loud homeschooled kids I have…..
And I finally watched The Notebook last night to see what all the hub bub is about. snif snif.
Pink is definitely your color! :)

maria February 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for hosting again this week! I have to say that we NEVER travel without our white noise machine. It’s a must, and it makes a HUGE difference.

Cute business cards!
maria recently posted..And So It BeginsMy Profile

Rabbit aka Jen February 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I LOVE the Ryan Gosling memes, but I have a special place in my heart for the publishing/library/literary ones since I work in publishing. Although we have no one that nice in our office…sadness. LOL
Rabbit aka Jen recently posted..We weren’t always Byzantine Catholic, part 4My Profile

Elena February 11, 2012 at 5:23 pm

LOVE!! The can idea too! I’m off now to find you on Pinterest!