PSA: The Eyebrow Edition

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on February 20, 2012

This beauty PSA comes courtesy of sweet Sarah who left the following comment in response to my mentioning that I’d never used an eyebrow pencil since my eyebrows are naturally dark:

“I never did my eyebrows either because they are dark, but I started over the summer and it makes such a difference! You’ll never go back. I use Benefit Browzing eyebrow kit. It’s great.”

So–because I’m such a sucker for Sephora–when I was out shopping last week I stopped in an asked them about Benefit’s Brow Zings eyebrow kit (which, btw, is on sale for $21 right now). They kindly let me try it out in the store and well…

So, this is embarrassing, but I guess I’m going to have to edit my Make-Up Bag post. I now have 13 things in my make-up bag. Oops!

Sarah was right. Shaping my eyebrows with the Brow-Zing wax and filling them in with a setting powder really does kick them up a notch. The change is nothing extreme–they still look perfectly natural; they just look a bit more polished now (a little more Audrey, perhaps?) which I love!

Oh, but one word of caution: make sure you don’t go crazy with the setting powder. A few light strokes of powder is all you need. Don’t ask me how I know. ;)

The kit also comes with a mirror, a tiny pair of tweezers (cute!), and two brushes to apply the wax and powder. It’s really kind of darling.

Take care, girlies!

Diapeepees February 20, 2012 at 8:24 am

I think I was only in high school — or around that time — when I got my eyebrows plucked for the first time. And I couldn’t believe the difference. Every woman has got to try it if they haven’t…It’s face changing…and I always use a brow pencil, if I’m dressing up properly. It adds a nice bit of darker drama…
Diapeepees recently posted..The Depths I’ll DigMy Profile

Sarah February 20, 2012 at 10:40 am

I have this too, but I really have to be careful not to overdo it. I think it’s great for skinnier eyebrows. Mine a more one the full side, so if I had more than a light touch of this, I come out looking very very scary :-)
Sarah recently posted..The Hippy Adventure-What I’ve learned so farMy Profile

lena February 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm

i have full eyebrows but still benefit from filling them in with eyebrow powder.

i use an eyebrow kit from e.l.f.. it’s only $3! it can be found at target. it comes in light and med. i love it!!!

lena February 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm

the e.l.f. kit comes with wax/gel, powder, and an application brush with two tips.
lena recently posted..Family Lenten ProgramMy Profile

Betty Beguiles February 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Ooh! That’s a great price! Does it come with wax?
Betty Beguiles recently posted..PSA: The Eyebrow EditionMy Profile

Betty Beguiles February 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Funny! We were typing our comments at the same time. :) Thanks, Lena!
Betty Beguiles recently posted..PSA: The Eyebrow EditionMy Profile

Sarah February 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for the shout-out! I’m so glad you liked the kit. Even when I don’t wear much makeup, I do my eyebrows, concealer, and mascara. It’s enough to look put together in a hurry.
I’ll have to check into that 3$ kit too, that’s a steal!
Sarah recently posted..Rended Hearts, Not Garments: Thinking About LentMy Profile

Carolina February 20, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’m going to have to get this for my teen girls.
Carolina recently posted..SOC Sunday-Loving HandsMy Profile

MamaBenedikt February 21, 2012 at 12:41 am

When I had my eye brows for the first time, the esthetician (did I get that right? :-) said she does not wax eye brows because the skin on our eyes is most tender and easily harmed from waxing-the wax removes a layer or more of skin. That makes total sense to me. She used, as do I, a tweezer that has special tips. I believe mine is Revlon. I wish I had the words to describe it. Sorry :-(

Betty Beguiles February 21, 2012 at 7:52 am

Interesting! I’d never heard that advice before. Thanks!

The wax in Brow Zings is just a light shaping wax, though, that washed off with soap. I’m not sure I’m brave enough to wax my own eyebrows! ;)
Betty Beguiles recently posted..PSA: The Eyebrow EditionMy Profile

Dorian Speed February 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I DID. And lived to email you about it, if I remember right.

The problem, though, is that once I’ve had my brows waxed, that translates in my head to “I don’t need to deal with this for at least two months.” And then out of nowhere I look in my rearview mirror and see Browsy McSasquatch staring back.

I really want to try threading my brows. Has anyone done that? It looks magic.
Dorian Speed recently posted..Kairos, Chronos, and Smhzmshzhsmhhzzsh…My Profile

mamabearJD March 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm

“Browsy McSasquatch.” Perfect! I get lazy once I’ve had mine waxed too – I am in that boat right now!
mamabearJD recently posted..{PHFR} – Catching Up and Marching ForwardMy Profile

MamaBenedikt February 21, 2012 at 12:43 am

Don’t know what happened to my sentence…When I had my eye brows plucked for the first time…

Christy February 21, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I’ve never met a Benefit product I didn’t love! I’ve been using the BluffDust (now discontinued unfortunately) for years and its a perfect overall powder that takes away all my redness, and the Erase Paste for under the eyes which works so well it makes me appear as if I’ve had sleep the night before!

This brow kits been on my to-get list for awhile so its nice to know it works great!
Christy recently posted..Some baptizing going on…My Profile

Lindsay @ Lindsay Loves February 24, 2012 at 2:15 am

I swear by eyebrow makeup. I tweeze religiously (well, I pray a lot, so I guess it’s just daily) and use eyebrow pencil to fill in the sparse spots. Even when I’m having a no-makeup day, the eyebrows are essential!
Lindsay @ Lindsay Loves recently posted..Stumbling Through MassMy Profile

Patricia Streeter February 27, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Until I found your post, I didn’t know about eyebrow make-up. Thank you for the product review.
Patricia Streeter recently posted..Dr. Brandt Pores No More Anti-Aging Mattifying LotionMy Profile

Mil February 28, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Don’t do the threading! I have had mine waxed and threaded. The threading took off a layer of skin that was unbelievable. Waxing is a breeze. I can take on the world when my brows are done.

mamabearJD March 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Ha I just saw this in my reader – I just bought this kit before Christmas and love it. I have thick eyebrows and never felt like I should add to them – but the wax is a subtle improvement. I’m not great at it though and so I sometimes use an eyelash brush – you know, it looks like a mascara wand, to go over them once I’m done. Fun!
mamabearJD recently posted..{PHFR} – Catching Up and Marching ForwardMy Profile