Building a Rockin’ Love Nest

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on April 18, 2012

In light of our fun conversation about flirty pajamas, I thought it might be fun to brainstorm some ideas for turning our bedrooms into inviting love nests. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

Declutter – Do you know what a clean, pretty bedroom says to me? Bring on the love, baby! Clutter, on the other hand, says: The quickest way to make it go away is to go to sleep! No love for you! Clutter, be gone!

Pretty Bedding – I happen to adore layers and layers of soft cotton sheets and blankets and piles of pillows. Maybe you prefer something simple and satiny, though? Either way, sumptuous bedding is a must for a rockin’ love nest.

Candles – Mood lighting? Sweet scents? Yes, please.

Canopy – We have this one. It doesn’t get much play, but I do have fun hanging it up for super special occasions. I’ve found it to be a nice way to set the extra special days apart from the average ones.

Basket o’ Love – I love the idea of taking a nice basket and filling it with lotions, massage oils, and things of that nature. It could be kept under the bed or in a closet. Anywhere that it can be accessed easily, really.

Music – This is one of those things that I always tell myself I’m going to do but never actually get around to doing. My husband and I both adore music so I’m not sure what’s up with that, but I plan on remedying this problem in short order!

Put a Lock on the Door – If you and your guy are parents, a lock on your door is essential. In order to relax and fully focus of your spouse, you kind of need to feel confident that there won’t be any little ones bursting through the door. Don’t worry, if they need you they’ll find a way to let you know.

What am I missing, girls? What are some other things we can do to our bedrooms to optimize them for sweet lovin’?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kathryn April 18, 2012 at 9:33 am

I definitely second decluttering. I did that to our bedroom just last week and I feel so much better every time I walk in. It didn’t take that long, either, far less time than I spent putting it off :-)

Hallie @ Betty Beguiles April 18, 2012 at 11:21 am

I am the worst about that! I spend so much time dreading tasks that would already have been completed had I just started them immediately!

Enjoy your pretty bedroom!
Hallie @ Betty Beguiles recently posted..Building a Rockin’ Love NestMy Profile

Katie@NFP and Me April 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

We have no kids but recently put a lock on the door anyways. Oh and the decluttering one is so true but that means I have to clean…oh the decisions. :)
Katie@NFP and Me recently posted..I Use NFP- A New WebsiteMy Profile

Hallie @ Betty Beguiles April 18, 2012 at 11:21 am

You’ll be all ready when the time comes! ;)
Hallie @ Betty Beguiles recently posted..Building a Rockin’ Love NestMy Profile

Lydia Cubbedge April 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

I definitely need to declutter. We moved a few months ago and the previous owners paint job in the bedroom is heinous. I just feel like I have so much work to do to get the room to where I want it to be it’s been left cluttered. Or filthy, depending on how you look at it. Any tips of where to begin? It’s just so overwhelming!
Lydia Cubbedge recently posted..The Need to Get Things Off My Chest PostMy Profile

Hallie @ Betty Beguiles April 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

I was just thinking about something similar this morning as I stared at my messy main floor. I usually try to pick one small area and make it beautiful, and then pick another area and make that beautiful, until I’m a roll and it doesn’t seem so overwhelming anymore. It’s so tough, though. I hate that overwhelmed feeling! I wish I lived close enough to help you! xoxox
Hallie @ Betty Beguiles recently posted..Building a Rockin’ Love NestMy Profile

Caitlin April 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Lydia, I feel your pain! I moved three months ago as well and our bedroom is the room that still isn’t completely unpacked. I second Hallie’s baby steps suggestion. Each day I set myself a goal to at least unpack one box, clear off one surface, etc. One thing I had to promise myself though was not to just shift the clutter. I have to put away and find a place for each item, and not just move it to another dresser/shelf! :) It’s a pain, but setting a ridiculously small goal sometimes helps me feel like I really accomplished a lot!
Caitlin recently posted..Mommy’s a FrumpMy Profile

Jeannine April 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

We put a new overhead lighting fixture in our bedroom last year, and the smartest thing we did was have it put on a dimmer. This is a very inexpensive thing to do, and it changes the whole mood of the room without messing with candles, etc. I cannot relax with an open flame nearby!
Jeannine recently posted..Do I Act Like an Easter Person?My Profile

Hallie @ Betty Beguiles April 18, 2012 at 11:27 am

Ooh! That’s a great idea! I don’t worry about candles too much as long as their on my dresser rather than my bedside table, but a friend once suggested hanging pretty colored scarves over lamps to create mood lighting and that totally freaked me out! I love the idea but I think I’d be so stressed that they’d catch on fire that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the moment.
Hallie @ Betty Beguiles recently posted..Building a Rockin’ Love NestMy Profile

laura April 18, 2012 at 10:15 am

The “basket o’ love” in an easily accessible place conjured visions of little girls proudly putting on “make-up” that isn’t make-up, or worse.

Maybe not too easily accessible.

Hallie @ Betty Beguiles April 18, 2012 at 11:27 am

An important caveat! LOL.
Hallie @ Betty Beguiles recently posted..Building a Rockin’ Love NestMy Profile

Aimee April 18, 2012 at 11:14 am

I second (or third or fourth) the decluttering and dim lighting ideas. Our light is on a dimmer and it creates a very nice ambiance. The biggest one for us? NO TV IN THE BEDROOM. I know some of my friends swear their guy can’t do without a tv in the bedroom, but I’m telling you, it cuts off the mojo somehow, even when it’s turned off. It’s a weird phenomenon. We had one in the bedroom for 6 months and then we ditched it. Best. move. ever.

Hallie @ Betty Beguiles April 18, 2012 at 11:28 am

Yeah, we don’t have a TV in our bedroom either. We did for a while and it caused A LOT of tension.

You ladies are making me covet a dimmer! ;)
Hallie @ Betty Beguiles recently posted..Building a Rockin’ Love NestMy Profile

Jennifer @ Raindrops On My Head April 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I think my husband is going to start getting worried!! First pretty nighties, massage oils and candles and now a lock on the door!! (we definitely need that now some of ours are getting older!!) I love these ideas. I definitely agree with no TV in the bedroom, one TV is enough for any home. After all, the TV is not a member of the family!! My last tip is to head up at the same time as each other…going to bed at different times leads to lots of lost moments of pillow talk not to mention romance.
Jennifer @ Raindrops On My Head recently posted..Laugh Now…But You’ll Thank Me Someday!My Profile

Hallie @ Betty Beguiles April 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I love that tip! I always feel a little bummed out when my husband and I can’t make it to bed at the same time.
Hallie @ Betty Beguiles recently posted..Building a Rockin’ Love NestMy Profile

Missy Rose April 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I’ve never thought about a canopy before, but that sounds like a wonderful idea for special occasions!

Hallie @ Betty Beguiles April 18, 2012 at 2:09 pm

It’s been really fun! And it’s super easy to put up! I highly recommend snagging one. :)
Hallie @ Betty Beguiles recently posted..Building a Rockin’ Love NestMy Profile

Carolina April 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I think you covered it all!
Carolina recently posted..A-Z challenge…OMy Profile

Mary Jones April 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm

What about wine?
Mary Jones recently posted..Five little birds, singing on my doorstep!My Profile

Kimberlie April 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm

De-cluttering our bedroom has been the hardest task! Our bedroom seems to always be last on the list when it comes to keeping things tidy. By the time I get the kitchen clean, laundry done, other parts of the house looking good, I’ve run out of steam. Plus, two of our kiddos have their “dressers” in our room because they can’t be trusted to have them in their own rooms. It’s a long story but to shorten it, if they have the clothes in their rooms, they end up tearing up their drawers each and every time they go in them (and I put them back together). I keep saying “I’ve got to get these kids out of our room” but it’s always the lowest priority of the day. I guess I better make it a bigger priority if I want a “rockin’ love nest.”
Kimberlie recently posted..Interior Freedom – A Book SummaryMy Profile

Jen April 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Whew! We are co-sleeping with a 2 year old, have the newborn in a crib next to my side of the bed, and this is not an extra-large bedroom space! It feels hopeless. Its the family bedroom and there’s no “mood” about it. :( While I’m not opposed to weaning the toddler into her own room, we’re currently in a 1bedroom apartment, so we’ll have to wait until we get someplace for her to actually *go*! ‘Course sometimes my husband and I sneak out to the living room if we’re worried about somebody waking up… I guess I should put the “mood” candles out there? Hmmmm… Anyone else who co-sleeps have any ideas here?

Mary L April 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm

We’ve co-slept for years! (11 children).We keep our decor/ pictures still Master bedroom style. (i.e. no kid art, photos etc.)We have painted cozy warm colors in our small room, and have some beautiful artwork up. We didn’t have room for a canopy, but I did get netting and wrapped it around our headboard and added Christmas lights underneath for atmosphere. (It sounds cheesy writing it, but it’s not.) We have a dimmer switch too, and we always use candles on our ‘date night’ at home. I’ve even managed to squeeze in a small table we can eat at, or have a tray of inexpensive tea items and cups/saucers. (safe height though for little ones.) We still have their dressers in here too, but have been creative about the space ~thus the decluttering mentioned above~ very important to stay on top of. You CAN have a romantic bedroom and the little ones nearby ;)

Grace April 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I just remembered — a week after Julia was born my awesome sister-in-law treated us to a $0 dollar master bedroom revamp –

proof that a little decluttering, picture framing and hanging, and imagination AND no money — can do a world of good! (even with a packnplay in your room!)

kk April 20, 2012 at 10:51 am

Oh, yes, decluttering is huge!! A little TMI but as we were getting in the mood recently, and had extra clothes (mine) laying around, my husband threw them off the bed and said “not sexy!” So true! It was a little bit of a wake up call as to how I inhibit feelings of romance. I like to blame that on him but I’m guilty too!
Not pertaining to the actual bedroom scenary but I have to say that I notice a HUGE difference in my desire when I’m exercising…Not sure if this is because I feel better about myself, more stamina, better oxygen/blood circulation to places that count ;) or all of the above!