Pre-Gaming by Grace Patton

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on April 23, 2012

As I mentioned in last Friday’s Quick Takes, I don’t know what I’ve been doing with my life, but I only recently discovered Grace of Camp Patton. I stumbled upon her site after someone told me that she’d written a hilarious blog post about pre-gaming before reading Style, Sex, and Substance. It was love at first sight. I am so smitten with her, in fact, that I twisted her arm into writing another post on pre-gaming for my own blog! She very sweetly agreed. Here, for your reading pleasure, is the awesome result… (Thank you, gorgeous Grace!)

Hopefully I’m not the only one that partook in healthy amounts of pre-gaming in college. But if it is the sad case that I am, let me preface by giving you Urban Dictionary’s definition of pre-gaming:

n. To drink before going to a party. Often pre-gaming happens at the house and involves taking shots.

Let me trust walk you through my beverage suggestions individually tailored to each chapter that I strongly recommend you prepare and enjoy before reading Style, Sex, and Substance . . . (Or was it let me trust walk you through my strong drink recipes individually tailored to each chapter that I recommend?)

Chapter One: How I Fell Out of My Minivan and Found Myself
by Jennifer Fulwiler

Recommendation: Get the party started with a totally morning appropriate Mimosa. I’ll leave ratios up to you, but I enjoy the easy to remember 1 part champagne:1 part OJ and one sprig of fresh mint that I’m sure you have handy in your carefully tended garden of herbs. Not to be consumed before driving — even if it is an innocuous minivan.

Chapter Two: Style: Balance, Beauty, and You
by Hallie Lord

Recommendation: Keep things classy with glass of sweet and trendy Muscato. Wine snobs will argue that this is no more a real glass of wine than White Zin is a restaurant worthy adult beverage but that doesn’t stop me from favoring it above all fancy wine. Also, my brother-in-law (9th grade) informs me that this is, “what all the rappers drink these days.” to which I happily say, “cheers.”

Chapter Three: God and Godiva
By Karen Edmisten

Recommendation: Chocolate wine. Two perfect genres marrying and living happily ever after. The end.

Chapter Four: Sex, Passion, and Purity
by Elizabeth Duffy

Recommendation: Exotic Sangria. Go all out. Scour Pinterest for a good recipe involving tequila, brown sugar, and if you health nuts must: fruit.

Chapter Five: Single and Seeking God’s Plan
by Anna Mitchell

Recommendation: Margarita gone wild. Mix equal parts water, limeade concentrate, tequila, and sprite with one bottle of Corona.

Chapter Six: What Works For You?
by Rebecca Ryskind Teti

Recommendation: Another white wine I enjoy, but that true connoisseurs might grave roll over, is Riesling. Why not take class it up and make a Riesling slushie or three to share: Riesling, strawberry vodka, Sprite, strawberries, and ice. Blend, drink, and enjoy.

Chapter Seven: Fruitful Friendship
by Rachel Balducci

Recommendation: My favorite girly drink recipe courtesy of my brilliant sister-in-law: equal parts gin, triple sec, and lemon juice topped with champagne. Be thirsty and careful. These are equal parts delicious and potent.

Chapter Eight: We Said Yes
by Danielle Bean

Recommendation: One drink my husband and I can agree on is the classic Margarita. Frozen, rocked, shaken, or salted. Your call.

Chapter Nine: Receiving, Creating, and Letting Go: Motherhood in Body and Soul
by Simcha Fisher

Recommendation: Bailey’s Irish Cream in your iced or hot coffee. Suitable for any occasion, but especially perfect for a particularly treacherous Monday morning.

Chapter Ten: Plugging in and Embracing Discipleship in the Twenty-First Century
by Barbara R. Nicolosi

Recommendation: A tame and tasty nightcap. To ease the end of the book pain, mix three parts club soda with two parts Port and a splash of lemon juice to make a Port Spritzer.

Enjoy the book, enjoy the drinks, and remember to follow the sage advice of Saint Thomas Aquinas, “Drink to the point of hilarity.”

Many thanks to Hallie for having me! It was an absolute pleasure.

Cari April 23, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’m sooooooooooooo pushing Ken to get us transferred to Kansas City next time, the closest Ford can get us to Grace. My liver thanks Ford for the distance, gas (and booze) companies will thank me for my persistence, since I’ll be road tripping to her house for daily play dates.
Cari recently posted..What Do This Giant Whale And I Have In Common?My Profile

Francine April 23, 2012 at 10:55 am

This is so perfect- I just (finally) got my copy in the mail over the weekend, found it last night, and will crack it open as soon as the bebe goes down for her nap. I’m about to start my coffee, maybe with some Irish cream? ;)

Jeannine April 23, 2012 at 11:28 am

I read some of Grace’s posts at your suggestion, Hallie. The one where her toddler hits the baby and the baby keeps smiling the whole time? STILL LAUGHING! Counterparts to those personalities live in my house. I won’t speak about the “issue” children, but with the non-issue child, my husband and I can look back and say, “Remember the time she cried?” And we both know what we are talking about.

I made a resolution to read from my shelves this year, and not buy another book, but YIKES! I am thinking I’ll need some kind of dispensation from scrupulous new-year’s-resolution conscience. I’m gonna pray on it!
Jeannine recently posted..Lanz of Salzburg: ABC or NFP?My Profile

Dwija {House Unseen} April 23, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Clearly I am a failure at proper drunkenness because I have no such awesome drink recipes as these! In fact, I know 2 drinks: beer and wine. Oh Grace, teach me thy ways!
Dwija {House Unseen} recently posted..Scientific 31 Week Photo ComparisonMy Profile

Erin April 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm

And for those of us who devoured your book in one day? Well, I guess it’s good that I didn’t have these enticing drink suggestions yet, I would have been wrecked!

Grace April 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm

ha! I did think about that . . . yikes!
Grace recently posted..here and thereMy Profile

Colleen April 23, 2012 at 5:40 pm

SO cute, but my favorite drink was left off the book “menu” so I’m thinking the pre-gaming drink of choice should be a Cosmo :)
Colleen recently posted..Are You Ready for Some Football??My Profile

Katie@NFP and Me April 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm

If you do make it to KC we’ll road trip to STL and go on the short tour of Budweiser with Grace. :)
Katie@NFP and Me recently posted..Thriftaholic Has A RelapseMy Profile

Katie@NFP and Me April 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Oh my that Riesling slushies sounds delicious. How did you know Strawberry Vodka was my favorite? In fact I happen to have all of those things on hand (minus that weird fruit thing.) Off to find the blender…
Katie@NFP and Me recently posted..Thriftaholic Has A RelapseMy Profile

ceciliamaria April 24, 2012 at 8:34 am

Great suggestions!!! Except now I am terribly thirsty and the only things that will quench said thirst are very tall glasses of Umberto Fiore Moscato D’Asti (my favorite brand of moscato) and my grandpa’s Johannisburg Riesling (my grandpa makes a killer riesling)…
ceciliamaria recently posted..angelica unfiltered – episode 7My Profile

Sheila Sheridan April 24, 2012 at 10:08 am

Hahahhaa, this was hilarious! Only Grace can write like this! Must read the book!

Myrtle April 24, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I know 2 drinks: beer and wine. Oh Grace, teach me thy ways! Thanks for the great thoughts.
Myrtle recently posted..Best Time To Get PregnantMy Profile

Smoochagator April 25, 2012 at 8:23 am

No, you are not the only one who pregamed last weekend in college. I was wondering if the pregame you were referring to was indeed the same pregame I was thinking of – for some reason I always think you Catholic mommy bloggers are non-drinkers. (And yes, I read Jennifer Fulwiler’s AND Simcha Fisher’s blogs… clearly I’m just not paying close enough attention.)

I love your suggestions for each chapter, and I will say that I think Moscato and Riesling are DEFINITELY real wines. My mom’s favorite “wine” is Arbor Mist, which I contend is actually a malt beverage. Some of the concoctions you’ve described above might have me flat on my back after one glass, crying for mercy. You’re made of strong stuff, Ms. Beguiles!
Smoochagator recently posted..Seven Quick TakesMy Profile

Caitlin April 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

This post is so timely for me… just received my book in the mail yesterday. While I admit I did my fair share of pregaming in my college days it’s not going to work for me so much now with my six month old. Probably I’ll read with a nice cup of tea. le sigh. :)
Caitlin recently posted..Mary’s House in EphesusMy Profile

bobbi @ revolution of love April 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm

omg, this is hilarious! I wish I had read this post before I read the book! ;-)
bobbi @ revolution of love recently posted..Weigh-In Wednesday: Vol 4 – Book Discussion of Style, Sex, and Substance, Chpt. 2My Profile

Ruth Green April 27, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hi there
I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award
Blessings!
Ruth

Karen Edmisten April 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I’m gonna go grab some chocolate wine and reread my own chapter.
Karen Edmisten recently posted..My Two Giveaways: *After Miscarriage* and *The Infertility Companion for Catholics*My Profile