21st Century Bangs!

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on October 11, 2012

Let’s talk bangs, girls. I happen to think bangs are God’s gift to women but I keep hearing these crazy rumors that some of you are suspicious of bangs, if not outright hostile! Can this be true?

Does it have anything to do with the fact that far too many of us have pictures like this one hiding in our attics?

Ouch!

Because bangs have been so very good to me over the years, I feel compelled to help them revamp their image. They’ve done some soul-searching, they’ve changed their ways, and I sincerely believe they deserve a second chance.

What do you say, girls? Want to take a peek at how they’re rockin’ the 21st century?

Cute, no? So cute.

If you think you might want to give bangs another shot but aren’t sure which style would suit you best, the New York Times recently offered this little nugget of advice:

“Even if your mane has the requisite swing, stylists still recommend using face shape as a guide. An oval face can handle almost any sort of bang. Round faces are said to look better with longer, sideswept bangs. Square faces may also benefit from sideswept bangs, with a slight part instead of a curtain of hair straight across the forehead. On long faces, a softer, lengthy fringe is typically most flattering.”

Magazines are calling 2012 the year of the bangs. What are you waiting for, chickadees? You only have 3 months left!

Go forth and cut bangs!

lena ~ JOYfilledfamily October 11, 2012 at 12:56 am

i had bangs for 2012. they lasted about 3 weeks. now i just pin my wisps back.
lena ~ JOYfilledfamily recently posted..Rose’s Senior PicturesMy Profile

GeekLady October 11, 2012 at 3:54 am

I’d add an addendum: bangs, especially straight, heavy ones, and glasses don’t mix.
GeekLady recently posted..7 Quick Takes – Pumpkin EditionMy Profile

JessieLeigh October 11, 2012 at 7:12 am

Oh, I am SO on the fence about this. I have a small oval face with a short forehead… a forehead that has recently begun to show fine lines when I make certain expressions. Gah! That has me pondering bangs, but, historically, I haven’t looked very good in them. That “anything looks good on an oval face” advice is utterly UNhelpful to me because, quite frankly, I just don’t believe I’d look good in “any” bangs. These pictures tempt me… oh, they tempt me… but I don’t know if I have the courage.
JessieLeigh recently posted..FAQs About Little Ones in Contact LensesMy Profile

Melanie October 11, 2012 at 8:27 am

Cute. But not on me. First because bangs demand to be taken care of, to be carefully arranged and styled. I’m anti a haircut that I can’t just wave a brush at and go in the morning. Second, because with my sensitive skin, bangs make be more prone to forehead acne. It must be the hair oil. Icky. Third, even if you magically took care of the first two, I think it would just drive me nuts to have hair on my forehead. Same reason I don’t wear makeup: I can’t stand anything on my face.

In short, I think bangs are fine for some but not for all.
Melanie recently posted..I BELIEVE: Professing the Creed for the Year of FaithMy Profile

MrsDarwin October 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

I yearn to do the Zooey Deschanel thing and have this cute thick fringe that makes my eyes pop, but my hair curls and I’ve always had bangs flip out in odd ways (also, I can’t figure out how to put on that eyeliner). And I don’t own a flat iron. However, when I have my hair cut I have a few locks cut shorter around the face to curl around and give a little definition.
MrsDarwin recently posted..Liberal Arts: The Skills of the Free ManMy Profile

Anon October 11, 2012 at 8:48 am

I JUST had this conversation with my hair stylist! I have a cowlick so all I can think of with bangs is my second grade picture where the hair in the middle is sticking straight up, haha. I am so excited to try a new style of bangs sometime soon, though.

Lisa October 11, 2012 at 9:06 am

Oh, how I want bangs! But I have this nasty cowlick right in front of my head, so bangs have traditionally had a weird bump or gap right there. Alas!

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 11, 2012 at 9:14 am

Even the bangs pictured in #1 and #6? I think those would look super cute with glasses! :)

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 11, 2012 at 9:15 am

Just out of curiosity, what was it that you didn’t like about them? :)

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 11, 2012 at 9:16 am

I suppose they might not be for everyone. ;) You’re such a cutie pie though that I totally think you could rock them. Are you drawn to any particular style of bang?

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 11, 2012 at 9:18 am

I totally get not wanting hair on your forehead if you have sensitive skin. I’ve never had to style my bangs before, though. I am all about easy maintenance. If I can’t wash and go, I’m not interested. :)

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 11, 2012 at 9:19 am

You always have the cutest haircuts, Mrs. Darwin. I’d kill for your curls. :)

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 11, 2012 at 9:20 am

I’d love to hear your hair stylist’s advice for wearing bangs if you have a cowlick! I can see how that might be tough. Maybe a touch of pomade at the base?

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 11, 2012 at 9:22 am

Rotten cowlicks. ;) I have a few, too. Is your cowlick right in the center? If not, I wonder whether side swept bangs might work.

ceciliamaria October 11, 2012 at 9:51 am

So cute! I love bangs! I have longish ones, similar to pics 2 and 8. I wish I could pull off the style in the first pic, but I have have a small forehead. Still, I’m glad I figured out how to work the bangs so they work for me. :)
ceciliamaria recently posted..a very special birthday boyMy Profile

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

I have the same! I’ve had every variety of bangs under the sun but I’m loving the long, layered look right now. :)

lisa roder October 11, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’ve always had bangs. kinda like reese’s or the red haired gal. idk why women think they are more work. I’m totally wash and go and they always look pretty good! also, as I creep into my 40′s they hide wrinkles – even the pesky “11″ I’m starting to get in between the eyebrows- oh- and guess what? the eyebrow maintenance is not so crucial when bangs hide some/all of the brow over one/both of the eyes!!! yay BANGS!!

The Reluctant Widow October 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

I got some side-swept bangs a month or two ago but the girl cut them way too short. They are finally growing out to where I like them. I have to admit though that most days I just throw them back in a head band. I have VERY fine, and VERY thin hair, so I have to style mine and most days I just don’t have time. I feel thrilled if I can actually get a shower BEFORE I take kids to school. Most days I am showering last thing at night because I can’t bear the idea of going to bed without having showered and gotten the day-before’s grunge off me. Does that make sense? You know what I mean.

I am drooling over those bangs in pic #6. Wish my hair was thicker. It’s so Audrey Hepburn-ish and I just adore her style!
The Reluctant Widow recently posted..Someone Always SeesMy Profile

Amy October 11, 2012 at 11:27 am

2012 IS the year of bangs, at least for me. I hadn’t had bangs since junior high (and they were very, very bad then), but I decided to be brave and try it again just about a month ago. They are a little more work, because I have curly hair, and when I don’t style them, they look absolutely crazy. But running the flat iron over just my bangs only takes a minute or two, and I can do it when I put on my makeup, so I don’t really mind the work. It’s been fun playing with, figuring out different ways to wear them (stick straight across the front, or slightly curled and swept to the side) and I’m loving the posh they give to plain ponytail days. YAY BANGS!
Amy recently posted..Sit there and take itMy Profile

Sarah October 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I love bangs. They frame the face and hide forehead blemishes and fine lines. I have what my stylist calls a square angular face with a pointy chin… sort of makes it look heart-shaped sometimes? I also have suuuper fine hair. The sideswept bangs are definitely ideal for someone like me. Also, I really don’t find they need extra styling and an added bonus: bangs can add dimension and a sense of fullness to fine-hair!

Becca October 11, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I’m with Mrs. Darwin, I love Zooey Deschanel bangs but can’t manage to swing it. I have a ginormous forehead. I mean, a really, really “is she going bald?” kind of huge forehead. I spent all of my teens and half of my 20s sporting heavily hairsprayed bangs (because without curling them and then gluing in place, they just hang limply over the wide expanse between my hairline and my eyes.) I’ve been off the hairspray for almost ten years now, and it still feels exciting to go out in the rain and not have to worry about my bangs! I still really like cute bangs, though. I wish there was a way for me!
Becca recently posted..In Defense of ZombiesMy Profile

Barb October 11, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I’ve ALWAYS had bangs. But 2012 is the Year I Am Growing Out the Bangs. The reason: bangs and hot flashes don’t mix. And the bangs are the only one of those 2 things that I can change.
Barb recently posted..Upside DownMy Profile

Mamabearjd October 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I remember seeing some picture of you rocking bangs. One time when I was in my early twenties (and I thought I was SO HIP in the big city) I took my mom to my stylist and he cut bangs for her. She cried. And cried. And cried. I have the side swept bangs but I have a strange curl to my hair now ever since extensions ripped me bald and my hair is so ugly I can’t even deal.

Andrea October 11, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I haven’t thought about bangs since I was in about 4th grade and my mom let me perm JUST MY BANGS. Oh good grief, it was SO HORRENDOUS.

I have huge, curly hair in a very humid place. I swear, I was born for the 80′s. On top of my giant hair poof, the whole front of my hair fell out postpartum (yay) and is now only about an inch long and growing at the rate of snail. I look like a ridiculous mess.

Hallie. Come to Texas and help me.

Liz October 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I LOVE all of those bang pictures. And I am sooooooo tempted (especially because of the darn grow back hair from my last post-natal hairloss), but I would love to know how people maintenance their bangs. Is it really safe (appearance-wise, lol) to trim them yourself?

nancyo October 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I’ve had bangs off and on for years, and 2012 has been a “yes bangs” year and I’m loving them. Did you realize that nearly every one of those photos were blue-eyed?
nancyo recently posted..Tuesday Tour: Collegiate Church of St. Michael, Mondsee, AustriaMy Profile

Elisa October 12, 2012 at 1:12 am

Why do you tease me so?? I envy bangs. I had them before, but I have wavy hair so I cannot have bangs w/o styling them..but you really got me thinking…I might try them again. I just really love how they look.
Elisa recently posted..Nature Walk: In The CountryMy Profile

Amy Caroline October 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

All right, I did it. I got bangs. And if I don’t like them in a week it is your fault. ALL your fault.
Amy Caroline recently posted..I Am a Sheep…My Profile

Elizabeth October 12, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Using the flat iron on my side swept bangs has made all the difference. My hair is straight but using the flat iron in the morning keeps them polished looking all day. If anyone is interested Small Things blog has a good tutorial. http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/2011/09/how-to-style-your-bangs-and-apply-root.html

Ashley October 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I haven’t had bangs since middle school, but I’ve been thinking of getting bangs next time I get my hair cut.
Ashley recently posted..To Share. To Read.My Profile

bobbi @ revolution of love October 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I love the looks of the bangs displayed but I have thick curly hair so I’m with Andrea, bangs on me have me picturing 80′s big hair bands on a short, plus size latina…omg, I couldn’t even type that out without laughing hysterically. ;-)
bobbi @ revolution of love recently posted..Operation Clean and Organize: Vol 15 – Bulletin Boards & Wall Photos (Part 1)My Profile

Beadgirl October 13, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Notice how in all those pictures, the women have straight hair? Well, except for that one with wavy hair? I have fine but curly hair — if I tried bangs, I’d have these weird little frizzy coils along my hairline.
Beadgirl recently posted..Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesMy Profile

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 14, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Don’t tell my hair stylist but this is what I do and it’s always worked great for me!

Hallie @ Moxie Wife October 14, 2012 at 4:43 pm

But I happen to know that they look super cute so…I win! ;)

Lirioroja October 17, 2012 at 12:37 pm

No bangs for me, thanks. While they do look very cute, I have very oily skin and oily hair. In my early teens my doctor recommended I get rid of my bangs to lessen the severity of my forehead acne. It worked. I haven’t had bangs since. I suffer from adult acne and I know I have to keep my hair off my face. It’s very straight hair so I keep it on the shorter side of medium length with lots of layers. Bangs are very stylish and feminine. However I can’t look at them without feeling blemishes forming on my forehead. Isn’t that awful?