by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on February 27, 2013

five-favorites

Hi cutie pies ~ A few of you have expressed an interest in writing your own Five Favorites posts. I didn’t put up a link list this week but I’ll be happy to add one next week if you’d like. Just let me know. I’d love to hear all about your current favorite things! (Plus, I’m doing a lot of lying on the couch as this pregnancy wraps up and am dying to add a few new blogs to my Google Reader.)

The Sweetness Trend

Sometime in the last 5 years, perhaps more, we have seen the emergence of a new trend that says what we want from the world and public personalities, for some purposes, is a certain sweetness. Once disdained as sentimental, maudlin, mawkish, and when exhibited in public, embarrassing, sweetness is back. Sweetness is big. Sweetness, against all odds, and quite against character, is having a celebrity moment…

I’m hoping that by “sweetness,” the author means an authentic kindness rather than simply an insincere and saccharine approach to things. If so, I’m all over this new trend.

DuWop Reverse Lipliner

DuWop

This stuff is awesome. It’s nothing fancy, but if you have trouble keeping your lipstick from “feathering” (when lipstick bleeds out into tiny depressions around the mouth), DuWop’s lip liner (which you can use with any shade of lipstick or gloss) is a life-saver. It also claims to plump, but I can’t say I’ve noticed a huge difference in that department.

Paperman

I missed the Oscar’s this year but was tickled pink to hear that Paperman won for Best Animated Short. I just love the blend of traditional and computer animation. Plus, the love. I just can’t get enough of the love.

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

the-storyteller

Jodi Picoult has long been one of my favorite authors but I have to admit her last release (Lone Wolf) left me a little cold. I just started her newest release (The Storyteller), though, and am finding it absolutely riveting. With a month left to go before Charlie’s arrival I covet nothing more than things that can make the time fly by. This book fits the bill and so it gets 5 stars from me.

Moses Baskets

Moses Basket

With my last daughter, I gave birth in a little birth cottage that had the coziest Moses Basket for parents to use during their stay. I’ve been dreaming of having one for our home ever since. I’ve been eyeing the one. Isn’t it sweet?

Have a lovely week, girls!

Cate February 27, 2013 at 11:48 am

That animated short officially made my morning! I definitely have to send it along to my hard working Hubs today! :)
Cate recently posted..Mind MapsMy Profile

Hallie @ Moxie Wife February 27, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Isn’t it the best? It spotted it on YouTube during the week of Valentine’s Day but then they took it down. I was so happy to find it again. :)

Cynthia February 27, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Hallie, I love this series! I would certainly love to jump on board…as soon as I can figure out how to type fast one-handed (aka rock a baby with the other arm!)

Your advice/recommendations are gold, for sure. I now am truly wishing for lipliner and a new book ;) Hope you are feeling well as your pregnancy comes toward the end! How fun that a sweet little one is almost here!
Cynthia recently posted..5 ThingsMy Profile

Hallie @ Moxie Wife February 27, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Congratulations again, Cynthia! Sweet Rose is such a little beauty! I can’t wait to read what sounds like an absolutely amazing birth story.

Lynn February 27, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I love these posts that you’ve been doing. What a great idea!

Hallie @ Moxie Wife February 27, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Thanks, Lynn!

Patty February 27, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Hallie, where can you find the lip liner?? If its not to pricy, I may look into that…I hate that problem when a great color fades away.

Hallie @ Moxie Wife February 27, 2013 at 5:50 pm

The Amazon link is embedded above but I bet places like Sephora would have it, too! :)

bobbi @ revolution of love February 27, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Oh, I forgot I said I was going to do a Fave 5 post. (Okay, is it fav or fave?? I always wonder.) Maybe if you have a link-up I’ll be more certain to remember! I’m all for more authentic kindness. And I’ll have to check out your book recommendation. I love a good read, even though I hardly have time to actually read anything other than Google Reader these days. ;-)
bobbi @ revolution of love recently posted..Making It Count Tuesday (Vol 12) & Meatless Meals Mash-Up: Minestrone SoupMy Profile

Robina February 27, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I want to read that book too. We love our Moses baskets. We actually have two. so sweet.

Nikita February 28, 2013 at 6:46 am

Moses Basket is cute, it reminds me of something my husband and I will be inheriting when we have our first. It is the small crib that his fourth-great-grandfather (was immigranted from German as a little one). Every first born son receives this to pass down to their sons (my husband’s father is keeping it until we announce we are having a little one).

Paperman is such a great short. I really think the way the short was made should be done in a full-length film (not the story). I really think many would come to watch it no matter the age!

As for making a add thing, please do! It will be fun! I hope to read more from you soon!

A little fan,
Nikita
Nikita recently posted..Catholic Woman’s Almanac Vol. 2 Issue 27My Profile

Stephanie February 28, 2013 at 9:12 am

I’m bookmarking this so I can watch Paperman when I get home from work! I love the linkup idea, Hallie–sometimes you just need to write a girly post about things you like, you know?
Stephanie recently posted..Lectio: Fill These HeartsMy Profile

Amy Caroline February 28, 2013 at 9:54 am

I loved Paperman! And so glad to hear about The Storyteller. I was curious!
Amy Caroline recently posted..{yarn along} ~ February 27, 2013My Profile

Nikita February 28, 2013 at 10:35 am

Just a little fun here, but got my Five Favorites done today, if you would like to see. Plus, who would not want to see my new Iron! :D
Nikita recently posted..Five Favorites Vol. 2My Profile

Kelly @ In the Sheepfold February 28, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Jodi Picoult’s first books grabbed my attention and kept it, but the last few have a touch meh. I’ll have to give this one a try. Put your feet up and enjoy a little light reading.
Kelly @ In the Sheepfold recently posted..Grab a Box of KleenexMy Profile

Jenna@CallHerHappy February 28, 2013 at 10:15 pm

A birth cottage? That sounds so lovely!

Also, thank you for your sweet comments lately. I have been traveling across country, and haven’t had a chance to respond. But you are certainly bringing smiles to my face!
Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..Ellen ChatterMy Profile