“What father-daily-bread-amen mean?”

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on March 21, 2013

So, it’s been quite a week.

photo (3) For those of you who missed my first fifty announcements, I’m 38 weeks pregnant (39 tomorrow!) and more than ready to move on to the Babymoon phase (yes, that is the understatement of the century).

My body hurts, I’m not sleeping well, I’m emotional, I’m cranky, etc. etc. etc.

Dan has been working a lot of nights as of late because it’s Sacrament Season and though I love — and he loves — the work he gets to do, I miss him.

And then just this week my little ones fell one by one as the virus from hell came sweeping off the plains (or marsh, as it may be here in Charleston) and into our house. Even Zelie, my two-year-old girl who has the immune system of something that has a strong immune system (bear with me, did I mention that I’m 38-almost-39-weeks-pregnant?), is currently sleeping on my bed with round apple-y flushed cheeks and a feverish forehead.

Oh, and because I just need to tell someone (thank you for your sacrifice), this is the same two-year-old who sat on my lap this morning and promptly burst into tears as she wailed, “I just went potty on your poor little leg!” Why yes, you did, cutie pie. Sadly, said unfortunate incident led to my throwing up all over the carpet because I was just at that point. So, that was lovely.

But now she sleeps, the others are wrapped in blankets downstairs paying homage to Netflix, and I am here at my computer sipping my second cup of coffee (seeing as my first one never made it into the bloodstream) feeling strangely at peace and overwhelmed with gratitude.

A wee little bit out of character, you should know.

Normally I’d be throwing the pity party to end all pity parties but then along came…

Therese, who never asks for anything in return as she gives and gives and gives some more. Just last week she piled all five of my little ones into her car and took them to her house for six hours while I rested and nested. She’s a living saint. I’m sure of it.

Valerie, Hannah, and Chris, who showed up at my doorstep with casseroles, vegetables, sweet breakfast breads, fruit, and treats (which were clearly labeled with “For Hallie. Don’t even think about it Dan! Ha.).

Jen H, my sweet-as-pie pregnancy buddy who never fails to encourage.

Grace, who read my comment about coveting her Mustela products and sent me my very own collection! Okay, technically they’re for Charlie but seeing as how he couldn’t be bothered to be here when the package arrived, I claim them as my very own.

Jen, who is always, always there to commiserate, lend support, and make me laugh.

My heroic husband, Dan, who is all love and endless service.

And all of you who have left comments and sent texts and emails promising prayers. (I wish I were in a place where I could reply to all of your kindness but please know that I read it all and it truly lifts me up. You have no idea.)

…and thanks to them — to you — I feel almost giddy. In spite of the unfortunate circumstances. In spite of myself.

Just this morning my feverish baby girl asked me, “What daily bread? What father-daily-bread-amen mean?” I’d just begun to tell her about asking God to provide for our needs (in my best two-year-old speak) when she jumped up with eyes sparkling and exclaimed: “Oh! Daily bread mean go to the park!”

Sickness and suffering forgotten (at least for the moment).

Without Zelie’s reminder I might have found it surprising the degree to which all of the kindness I’ve been shown recently has made this trying season not only bearable but filled with such sweet anticipation and joy. What gentle power these little graces and gifts have to lift us out of ourselves and remind us of the bigger and more beautiful picture. One day we will go to the park and one day a darling baby boy will arrive and oh, how loved we all are!

We must become like little children, indeed.

Thank you seems such an inadequate expression right now but it’s all I’ve got. So, thank you, friends. You all are the cat’s pajamas. You really are.

So much love!

P.S. Since next week is Holy Week, I think I’ll skip Five Favorites. We’ll return to our regularly scheduled swooning on the 3rd (my birthday!!!).

Sarah March 21, 2013 at 11:33 am

I can’t get over how similar our situations seem. I am 32.5 wks preggo with number 6, my hubby is music minister at the church so I also have been doing lots of nights solo, and for the past 10/11 days we had the dreaded norovirus, i.e. the stomach bug from h*ell going through our house! I will offer lots and lots of prayers for you as I waddle about the house today!
Sarah recently posted..The Finish LineMy Profile

Francine March 21, 2013 at 11:44 am

You are sooooo close!! Hope everyone gets well soon. Thanks for this, I needed the perspective this morning. And the third is a wonderful day for a birthday, I would know. ;) less than two weeks- hopefully Charlie will be an early present?!

Christy March 21, 2013 at 11:53 am

Aww Hallie, this is so wonderful. Although the sickness is so sad, I feel for you! I’ve been trying to look for grace in this last week, and so far its been showing up as going an hour without yelling at kids for doing simple kid-things, and not going into labor and having to face completely dangerous roads! Not exactly stellar. But its encouraging to hear good things!
Christy recently posted..Seven Quick Takes-The Pope Francis edition!My Profile

Grace March 21, 2013 at 12:04 pm

maybe my favorite post you’ve written!

Heather March 21, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Sending you love girl!! You can and will do this. “I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me” and He is right by your side.

Katie March 21, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Girlfriend, you hang in there!! I’ll be 39 weeks tomorrow, too, and the end is in sight for us both. What a blessing to have little kids around to remind us that things aren’t so bad after all :) Take care, and see you on the other side of Delivery Day!
Katie recently posted..For now “Left to Tell” is Left AloneMy Profile

EML @ Barefoot and Sometimes Pregnant March 21, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I am following right behind you at 34 weeks! Hang in there! We are both almost done and will have that sweet little baby in our arms.
EML @ Barefoot and Sometimes Pregnant recently posted..5 Favorite Things – Vol. 3My Profile

Colleen Martin March 21, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Oh Hallie, you’re almost done!! The end is near!! Hang in there pretty lady with the pretty belly, the last stage of pregnancy is so so hard because why the heck else would we be willing to go through labor to end it? I’m thinking you’ll be in babymoon by your birthday :)
Colleen Martin recently posted..Pope Francis MartinMy Profile

Michelle March 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Prayers for your upcoming labor and delivery. I know those last days are so hard. Take care and know you are in my prayers.
Michelle recently posted..Breast is Best…Until It’s Not (A Guest Post)My Profile

Nikita March 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm

*laughing* that is what Charleston is…kind of funny to think about that…I have newly moved to Charleston…well ok Goose Creek, but it says NWS Charleston Base (unless we are speaking of two different Charleston) ;) so close enough. This flipping back and forth between warm and cool, which drives my sinuses up the WALL! But, it is a getting use to stage, I do not know how long I will be here, but darn it make the best of it.

I guess I need to take a few notes especially when it comes time for us to have a little one what I might expect. (Not that I am yet, but with prayers and communication).

Alright it seems I am rambling, sorry. Please take care and I want to say thank you for writing and doing what you do. Many times I am inspire to write more (even if I am not grammatical correct on things). It is thanks to you and many more who blog.

Many prayers to you and your family,
Nikita
Nikita recently posted..Five Favorites Vol. 5My Profile

Jenny March 21, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Thank you for helping me with my own perspective today. I’ll just get up, brush myself off and try again!

Praying for you in these last days, which always seem to be the longest!
Jenny recently posted..before and afterMy Profile

Jeannine March 21, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I am sending you so many hugs!

I never know when I will be beset by those waves of peace and gratitude…it can be any number of things that will set it off, but it is a lovely place to be, and I am happy that is what you are feeling right now.

Praying for a happy delivery and a sweet babymoon…soon!

Agnes March 21, 2013 at 2:41 pm

You are so blessed girl! Just keep swimmin swimmin swimmin and it’ll soon be all over and the indescribable joy of new life will make your heart overflow!!!!! God Bless YOu and your fam! PS: I love your 2 year old and “oh daily bread mean go to the park” hahahaha so funny
Agnes recently posted..Psalm 27; Trust in God; difficulties; Chastity, marriageMy Profile

Patty March 21, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Hallie, sending you virtual hugs {and encouragement for that wee one to make a grand appearance}. My hubs and I don’t have kidlets yet, but reading more of you mommy bloggers, I have so much respect for you ladies at home raising kids! It’s just the two of us sometimes and we drive each other crazy :)

Amy @ Consecrated Housewife March 21, 2013 at 4:06 pm

When I was learning the “Our Father” aka “Lord’s Prayer” in Sunday school I remember the teachers got a big kick out of me saying “forgive us our ‘breads’ as we forgive our ‘breaders’”. To a young girl that seemed like what they were saying (as opposed to “forgive us our debts”). All that talk about daily bread and I just kept going with it!

Praying for your delivery day and for your kiddos to start feeling better before said day arrives…
Amy @ Consecrated Housewife recently posted..7 Quick Takes – Princess Birthday EditionMy Profile

Margaret in MN March 21, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Hallie, Hon, I’m praying for you. I made it to 36 weeks & 3 days and I was DONE. Clearly you’re a better [pregnant] woman than I. : )

Michelle March 21, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Oh, Hallie, what a wonderful, lovely reminder to look at the bigger picture. I’ll be praying for you, Charlie and your entire family in these upcoming weeks. Soon, your new boy will be in your arms and you will be basking in his heavenly sweetness.

Jenna@CallHerHappy March 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm

That is so sweet. I love 2-year-old talk. And, yes, praying over here :)
Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..5 Favorites…Too Late?My Profile

Amelia March 21, 2013 at 7:09 pm

You’re so close!!! You’ll be snuggling your new little babe before you even know it! Prayers for your upcoming birth.
Amelia recently posted..{Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real Mud}My Profile

Elisa | blissfulE March 22, 2013 at 2:15 am

I hate it when my husband is away, and much moreso when I’m pregnant. Praying for you!
Elisa | blissfulE recently posted..inland hikes at Kalbarri National ParkMy Profile

Heather Gaither March 22, 2013 at 11:48 am

Hallie, it is always encouraging to hear the struggles of a fellow sister in Christ, and then see how Christ has empowered her to overcome them. Sickness has visiting (and RE-visiting) our house over the past few weeks and it’s SO DARN TEMPTING to want to complain to anyone who will listen…but then I get the wonderful perspective of EASTER and realize that my week isn’t NEARLY is hard as His was. Praise be to God! He is Risen! He is risen indeed. (and at this point, I get a little teary with thankfulness.) Blessings!
Heather Gaither recently posted..The Best Products for a Congested BabyMy Profile

TracyE March 23, 2013 at 7:00 am

Oh, sweet, Hallie!!! I suppose this time is a “gift” to keep you occupied during your last preggo days—-sorry, I’m trying to find a reason for you here….hopefully everyone is feeling better soon so you can all be sufficiently rested and ready for Charlie!! Blessings and happy weekend!!
TracyE recently posted..Friday. Parenting. Blogging. Procrastination.My Profile

Audrey 'Huss' Charba March 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Wait, don’t you always go into labor on your due date? So the 3rd will be too late! Please have the post already to go, so Dan can post Charlie’s pic for you :D That’s not too much to ask…is it? ;p

Bobbi @ revolution of love March 24, 2013 at 2:27 am

Hugs and prayers to you, sweet girl!
Bobbi @ revolution of love recently posted..7 Quick Takes (3/23/13): Downton Abbey Season 4 News & New CharactersMy Profile

Amy Caroline March 25, 2013 at 8:34 am

Oh no! I am so sorry! Get better soon. Oh, your poor little leg, how sad but sweet. Prayers.
Amy Caroline recently posted..Mercy FlightsMy Profile