by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on April 16, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

So, the craziest thing happened after Charlie’s birth. I didn’t experience a single afterbirth pain. (I trust you fellow moms of many understand how miraculous this is.) Honestly, my afterbirth pains in the past have been worse than the labor itself. Which is the saddest thing ever! White knuckling it through 24 or so hours of excruciating pain while I’m trying to enjoy my sweet new baby? Unsubscribe.

I’ve always cycled Ibuprofen and Tylenol, used a variety of herbal remedies, and kept my heating pad close, but after scouring the Internet for another possible remedy I struck gold. You’ll find it in my first favorite followed by a few other things I used to get ready for the birth that were also blessings if not outright miracles like #1.

Bluebonnet Blueberry Liquid Calcium

Natural pregnancy and postpartum remedies.

Taking two tablespoons every single hour (that I was awake) starting immediately after Charlie’s arrival and continuing through the first postpartum day or two = afterbirth pain completely and totally annihilated. Crazy. I don’t mean that they were less severe. I mean I truly didn’t experience a single one. My uterus contracted back down to size as it should but there was absolutely no discomfort.

The liquid calcium is chalky (there’s really no getting around that) but it actually tastes really good! All the reviewers say that blueberry is the best flavor and from my limited experience I have to agree. I also chose this variety of cal-mag because it has a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium which is important apparently.

I am so in love with this stuff I cannot even tell you.

Floradix Calcium-Magnesium

Natural pregnancy and postpartum remedies.

I also took much lower dose of a calcium-magnesium supplement during the last trimester. I’d heard that Floradix was the best so I went with that. It was pretty tasty once I got used to the apple juice infused with flowers flavor. As for the benefits, I had no leg cramps, minimal aches and pains, slept better at night, and just felt generally more calm and relaxed. The fact that I went six days “overdue” and lived to tell about it really says something. ;)

Gentle Birth Formula

Natural pregnancy and postpartum remedies.

In the past I’ve always used Dr. Christopher’s Birth Prep to prepare for labor. This time, though, I decided to try Gentle Birth after reading rave reviews in a number of online forums. I immediately noticed that this formula did not cause as many Braxton Hicks contractions as Dr. Christopher’s supplement did which was greatly appreciated. As for my labor, it really was gentle (as far as labors go). Perhaps it would have been smooth sailing anyway but it didn’t hurt me to add this to my supplement routine each day and I was very, very happy with the birth so I imagine I’ll use it again should I have another wee one in the future. (One other note: the variety I link to contains Blue Cohosh but if you’re not comfortable with that you can buy Gentle Birth without Blue Cohosh here.)

MegaFood’s Blood Builder

Natural pregnancy and postpartum remedies.

Starting in my first trimester I noticed that I was getting incredibly short of breath when I’d climb the stairs in my house. Not just a little winded, either, but full on collapsing in a chair and sucking in air for dear life each and every time I made the climb. When my first CBC came back it showed that I wasn’t anemic but pretty close. My midwife told me that though my iron wasn’t crazy low the count could very well be too low for me.

On Grace’s recommendation I started taking MegaFood’s Blood Builder. I love this stuff. LOVE it. Within a couple of weeks (it can take some time for the bone marrow to create new red blood cells), I was once again bounding up my stairs without any trouble. I’ve also noticed that I have much more energy right now than I usually do in the first postpartum weeks so maybe BB is helping with that, too.

Lavender Essential Oil

Natural pregnancy and postpartum remedies.

After all that fuss (wink, wink), Dan started adding a few drops of lavender oil to a paper towel and sticking it to one of our AC vents once a day or so. A subtle but delicious lavender scent filled our home and I really do believe it helped a lot to relax me during those last (“overdue”) days of pregnancy.

Happy favorite-ing, sweet friends!

Christy April 16, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Wow Hallie, I wish I knew about this miraculous after birth pain cure a couple weeks ago! I copped out this time around and got prescribed the best painkiller I could get but I still felt them for at least the first day. I just couldn’t face the idea of two days of horrible pain again like my last birth. It’s so demoralizing to have after birth pains for two days after a four hour labor! It’s so awesome to know that stuff worked so well!

Stefanie April 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I will definitely have to remember these in the future! Thanks for sharing!
Stefanie recently posted..Five Favorites vol. 5My Profile

Jessica April 16, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Oh this post would have been so great to have read before delivering my last little one… The afterpains have gotten worse following each pregnancy and I thought they were going to be the end of me last time (following delivery #8)! Thank you so much for sharing and I’ve already pinned this post for future reference! :)

Congratulations again! I’m so happy for you!!
Jessica recently posted..The Maypole and our Beautiful Catholic FaithMy Profile

Dwija {House Unseen} April 16, 2013 at 9:14 pm

These are so great! I’m sure there are a LOT of mama’s out there who are going to benefit. You da best.
Dwija {House Unseen} recently posted..Manual Mode MondayMy Profile

EML @ Barefoot and Sometimes Pregnant April 16, 2013 at 9:23 pm

1. After 4 births, I only had 1 with afterbirth pain. #5 is due in two weeks so I might have to pick some of this up just in case there is afterbirth pain.
2. I take the Floradix with Iron and it does wonders!
3. I was debating on those two with #5 and decided to go with 5-W. I am taking it not so much to quicken labor, but to strengthen the uterus.
I am 38 weeks today!!
EML @ Barefoot and Sometimes Pregnant recently posted..7 Quick Takes – The I Am Lazy EditionMy Profile

Rosie April 16, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Totally pinning this for the next baby – my afterbirth pains were KILLER this time around!!!
Rosie recently posted..5 Favorites!My Profile

Molly April 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I need to figure out a way to save this post for the (hopefully) next time I’m pregnant. I want to use ALL of these!

Thanks for a great 5 Favorites and congratulations on little Charlie!

Ginny April 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Hallie! I totally needed this post right now–well more so in about six months, but just really excited for all these tips–I am especially excited about number 1! No afterbirth pains? Crazy!

Lydia April 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I *heart* floradix. I was severely anemic with Bernadette and the iron supplement they do kept me from the hospital. I also discovered something called Childbirth Combo from I forget where, and it definitely got rid of the afterbirth pains. I don’t remember any at all.

Lisa G April 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Pinned this!!! I nearly died of afterbirth pains from my 3rd. I had no idea the cure was that simple!!!
Lisa G recently posted..Theme Thursday – Grow!My Profile

Liz April 16, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Oh my, this is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing; I will need to find a way to bookmark this for any future births! No afterbirth pains would be wonderful!

Elisa | blissfulE April 17, 2013 at 2:29 am

Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m sending this to my fav midwife so even more ladies can benefit.
Elisa | blissfulE recently posted..Nikki begins studying the celloMy Profile

Micaela @ California to Korea April 17, 2013 at 7:45 am

Hallie, these are excellent suggestions for my childbirth ed clients. I am soooo excited to pass them along! We all thank you!!!
Micaela @ California to Korea recently posted..Philippines: Food and FamilyMy Profile

Sandra April 17, 2013 at 7:57 am

LOVE this! However, I have been wondering about the possibility of an iron overload with Floradix + Blood Builder + Prenatal. Is this a concern? Thanks, Hallie!

Hallie @ Moxie Wife April 17, 2013 at 8:03 am

Well, I wouldn’t suggest anyone take Blood Builder on top of prenatals unless they knew their iron to be low. And the above variety of Floradix doesn’t contain iron (just calcium, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin d). :)

Lisa April 17, 2013 at 9:32 am

Wow, I def. want to try the Bluebonnet liquid next time, and the scented-air is a great idea!
Lisa recently posted..Five Favorites {vol. 7}My Profile

Rosie April 17, 2013 at 11:03 am

Wow, I can’t wait to try #1! Afterbirth contractions are the worst, especially combined with the pain of beginning breastfeeding. Do you have any recommendations for breastfeeding? Lansinoh and soothies don’t do too much for me. My second baby was a lot better at latching on but I still found it extremely painful at first.

Jenna@CallHerHappy April 17, 2013 at 11:51 am

pinning this so hard. you may have just solved 5 of my pregnancy problems! God Bless You!
Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..A Post About Hair – From Me to YouMy Profile

Susan April 17, 2013 at 12:01 pm

AWESOME!! My friends think I’m completely wacko, because I do all of this natural “stuff” before and after I have a baby. BUT – it works!! I now have some new goods to add to my arsenal. Thanks!!! :)

Jennifer H April 17, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I just sent an email linking this post to all my friends. I am definitely going to have to remember this the next time I have a baby! Those afterbirth pains were the worst for me! Thanks!
Jennifer H recently posted..Five Favorites (vol. 1)My Profile

Katrina April 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm

So trying these this time around! Thank you in advance for the help :)

Cordelia April 17, 2013 at 3:59 pm

A terrific and timely post for me, too! I’m due with my own #6 in five weeks – so I’m going to do a bit of shopping from your list this very weekend. I struggle with severe anemia each pregnancy, even with a high-iron diet, and all the supplements I’ve tried over the years just make my insides feel awful without doing much for my energy. Here’s hoping this one is different! Thanks so much for posting this. (Also, another week, I’d love to hear about your favourite nursing tops or dresses. I had so much fun between babies bringing a vintage ’50′s look to my wardrobe…but almost none of it has the necesssary “access” to wear for the next year.)

Sarah April 17, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Do you think the afterbirth pain was gone because of the calcium or the magnesium? I have been learning more about magnesium from Dr. Carolyn Dean and my midwife suggested 500mgs of magnesium towards the end of the pregnancy to help with labor. It’s supposed to make labor faster and less painful. Im all for it! I would love to know how you came to know about it. Thanks!!

Hallie @ Moxie Wife April 17, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Everything I’ve read pointed to the calcium as the component that helped with the pain. The magnesium was said to help with the calcium absorption. But maybe both play a role in pain management?

Amelia April 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I LOVE Floradix. I used it during my last two pregnancy’s and it kept my iron levels at a really good level.

Thanks for the tip on the other supplements! I love supplements, and will definitely be checking out the calcium and mega-food supplements for next time. (Don’t you just love how Catholics are always all “next time” like it’s a given there will be another baby).

My last labor was my first homebirth and was super easy sailing as well. I took a supplement very similar to your Liquid Calcium (it was a magnesium citrate) and I definitely think that made my uterus super strong so my contractions were all very effective. I did have afterbirth contractions though..so next time I will definitely try your protocol for after birth!

Off to go look up the Megafood Blood Builder now!!
Amelia recently posted..A few of my favorite thingsMy Profile

Sarah O @ Two Os Plus More April 17, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Oh man. So saving this for next pregnancy. I would love to not be addicted to ibuprofen for days on end.
Sarah O @ Two Os Plus More recently posted..25 Simple Ways to Go GreenMy Profile

Joy @ Caspara April 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm

This is so helpful! I don’t know if I will have more babies, but I’d like to. So this is great to know! I hate how you have to grin and bear those breathtaking afterbirth pains while not only trying to just love on your baby, but having all those visitors too.
Blessings!
Joy @ Caspara recently posted..We Like to Move It! (7QT’s)My Profile

Hafsa April 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm

You just might be my favorite blogger ever. I’m a first time commenter and expecting my fourth in July, thank you for favoriting these supplements which I will definitely be perusing. I am now taking a magnesium supplement after reading its wondrous effects. Now I’ll look into the blood builders and everything else. Love.

Kate @ The Rhodes Log October 10, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Just wanted to say hello as I’m lurking here today! I’m ordering your liquid calcium recommendation!!