Do you ever wait for the longest day of the year and then miss it?

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on June 21, 2013

“Do you ever wait for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always wait for the longest day of the year and then miss it!” -The Great Gatsby

I don’t know what it is about this long Summer Solstice day because, if I’m going to be honest, the Winter Solstice with it’s little ones who fall into early slumber thanks to the quick setting sun (wink, wink) really should be more my style. But I can’t help it. I just love it. I just love that it ushers in a season full of…

• retro sunglasses,
      • vintage sundresses,
      • bare feet,
      • childhood memories,
      • bike rides,
      • fireworks,
      • fresh lemonade and chilled wine,
      • strawberry pickin’ and shortcake makin’,
      • barbecues,
      • bonfires,
      • ice cream trucks,
      • pools and beaches,
      • fireflies,
      • afternoon naps,
      • summer storms,
      • lush greenery,
      • cute frogs,
      • pie,
      • road trips,
      • the sun-kissed cheeks of my children,
      • and the me-kissed lips of my husband.

And on that note, a song that Dan put on a mix tape he made for us to listen to on my first trip to visit him (which also happened to be the first road trip we took together)…

Have a delicious one, girlies! And make that first smooch of the summer a sweet one!

Leila June 21, 2013 at 10:09 am

I love it too! So so much. But the bittersweetness is the feeling that it’s all downhill from here. Yup, that’s me — the glass will be empty soon kinda gal :)

Lacey @ Forgot the Flour June 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

I loooove the late, slanting-light evenings and sitting outside after the kids go to bed. Just wonderful! But like Leila up there, I am always the teeniest bit sad thinking that the days will start getting shorter after this.

Olivia June 21, 2013 at 11:31 am

Hallie, I love this! Your list just shot me straight into nostalgia. I’ll do my best to soak up the longest day of the year and to make those kisses good ones ;)
Olivia recently posted..7 Rando TakesMy Profile

Jamie June 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I always feel bad for not enjoying summer as much as everybody else seems to…I just can’t stand the heat :). Definitely looking forward to a good bonfire and smore though!!!
Jamie recently posted..Life as told by my camera phone {p,h,f,r}My Profile

Jennifer @ Little Silly Goose June 22, 2013 at 1:48 am

Love this! I don’t know how you can capture the essence of summer in a post but you did it! I celebrated by playing baseball outside with my toddler. I do love summertime. Something about a warm summer night just wraps me up in happiness.
Jennifer @ Little Silly Goose recently posted..7 Quick Takes (Vol. 2)My Profile

Martha June 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm

You’re a peach, Hallie! In my alternate universe, in which I live in a city and am not married to a farmer, I thoroughly enjoy all of the things on that list! ;) Maybe it’s a country mouse/city mouse thing or maybe I’m jaded, but when I think of summer, my list goes like this:

*Weeding (accompanied by sunburn/mud/sweat/mosquitoes/heatstroke/big frizzy hair)
*Rock picking (see above)
*Fixing fence (see above)
*Round Up (and I don’t mean the fun carnival ride)
*Crazy hail storms and/or tornadoes
*Watching all my beautiful outdoor decor destroyed by typical 60mph prairie winds and said storms
*Mosquitoes
*Ticks
*Attempting picnics while shooing away dogs/cats
*Dust if it doesn’t rain, mud in the house if it does
*Heating the already too hot house up by canning for a month
*Thankfulness for having sold the dairy herd (the flies! The manure! The dead heat stroked cows that the rendering truck has forgotten to pick up! Oh my!)
*And… Trying to get 7 kids to the pool a couple times so I don’t feel like a completely rotten mother. (See also Jen’s Slip ‘n’ Slide post, exchanging the fire ants for thistles the size of a small dog).

Wow. My negativity has amazed me! I promise I am going to now make a list for myself of all the beautiful things summer brings to my life. Can no homeschooling be one of them???!

Mandi @ Messy Wife, Blessed Life June 22, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I read the title and I thought “this sounds so familiar”. I just finished re-reading The Great Gatsby, that’s why! I love the summer too. I was made for the warmth!
Mandi @ Messy Wife, Blessed Life recently posted..30 Things to Do in 30 Minutes {With Your Spouse}My Profile

Elisa | blissfulE June 24, 2013 at 7:15 am

Yay for mixed tapes from husbands-to-be. :) Brings back good memories for me, too. :)
Elisa | blissfulE recently posted..our first sunset walk in AlbanyMy Profile