by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on June 4, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

I’m a Sephora girl through and through, ’tis true, but I’m also fond of the I’m in Walgreens anyway, why not just grab a little bit of love from the makeup aisle? maneuver. Because some days (okay, a lot of days) simply demand a little lagniappe of the beauty variety. And though it’s also true that most of my favorite beauty products are of the higher end variety, I have discovered a few drugstore makeup brand treasures over the years that I’ve come to love and depend on when it’s penny pinching time. And honestly, some of them give their departments store brand counterparts a serious run for their money.

Anyway, since a couple of people have asked me to share, I thought I’d devote my Five (plus one) Favorites this week to reviewing a few of those lovelies…

Lipstick

Drugstore brand makeup that gives department store brands a run for their money.

In the product description, Revlon’s Lip Butter is described as a “buttery balm” and that’s exactly what it is. It’s soft, it’s sweet, it’s pretty, and I am quite smitten with it.

Revlon’s Colorstay Ultimate Suede Lipstick is my favorite of the long lasting lipsticks because though it may not condition as well as Lip Butter, it’s not nearly as drying as the other long lasting lipsticks I’ve tried. It lasts all day and that is something this busy mom is oh-so grateful for.

Mascara

So, we had a little conversation recently about our favorite drugstore mascaras over on Instagram. The top 4 recommended varieties ended up being Maybelline Lash Discovery, L’Oreal Paris Voluminous, Covergirl Clump Crusher, and Maybelline Great Lash. I myself have long been a Lash Discovery devotee because it miraculously manages to add quite a bit of length to my incredibly stubby eyelashes. In fact, I love it so much that I don’t even ever splurge on department store brand mascaras anymore. How about that?

Even though I’ve always been perfectly happy with Lash Discovery, I did decide to try Clump Crusher recently because of all the rave reviews I kept running into online. It’s pretty great, girls. As I mentioned, Lash Discovery adds a lot of length, but if you’ve already been blessed with nice long lashes (lucky ducks) Clump Crusher adds a yummy va-va-voomish thickness.

Concealer

I’ve tried quite a few concealers over the years and Maybelline’s New York Fit Me! is the only drugstore brand that I’ve ever been happy with. It gives great coverage while still maintaining a lovely natural look. I love it.

Eyeshadow

I have yet to try a Rimmel eyeshadow that I wasn’t happy with, but their Glam’Eyes Quad line is my favorite. I just love having a collection of coordinating colors in one compact set. Easy breezy beautiful. (Sorry, Covergirl.)

Blush

This may just be due to my unique skin type, but now that I’ve discovered cream blush I will never go back to the powdered stuff. Maybelline’s Dream Mousse Blush is fantastic. It offers a subtle soft glow and is super easy to apply. Win/win.

Loving the cat eye look like I do, I’ve tried many a gel eyeliner. My absolute favorite is Bobbi Brown’s Long Wear Gel Eyeliner. If you’re looking for a drugstore substitute, though, Maybelline’s Lasting Drama is pretty great.

For a slightly softer eyeliner look CoverGirl Perfect Point has yet to let me down. It doesn’t smudge, the color is strong, and the soft blending tip is a nice added bonus. Good stuff.

So, there you have it! My absolute favorite drugstore beauty products. Have I missed any must-haves?

Happy gussying, cutie pies!

i

Edited to add: For more makeup tips, check out Jen’s awesome guest post. :)

Rosie June 4, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I’m such a makeup novice, this is really helpful for me! But the problem is, I can’t buy a new product until I use the old one up, so I end up using the same sub-par eyeliner for yeeeears (because I also never throw it away…)! I really need to purge…
Rosie recently posted..Five Favorites!My Profile

Stefanie @ A Dreamer's Wife June 4, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I’ve been wanting to try a cream blush, so I’ll have to try the Dream Mousse Blush and I’ve heard good things about the Clump Crusher mascara! Good suggestions!
Stefanie @ A Dreamer’s Wife recently posted..Five Favorites: Tennessee-Style (vol. 8)My Profile

Amelia B. June 4, 2013 at 9:30 pm

So, this is a super-basic question but here goes: is concealer what you put on the dark circles under your eyes? I’m in my 20s and blessed with great skin so I’ve never used much makeup, but I could probably do some under-eye concealment. Is “concealer” what I’m looking for? Won’t it look weird without foundation on the rest of my face?

Beth June 4, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I’ve eyed the cream blush, but have been hesitant to try because I’m fearful of the results and unsure how to use it. I may just have to give it a try!

Maia June 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I’m a makeup dunce, but I’ll be trying that lip butter. If only because of the name! ;)

Dorian Speed June 4, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Please speak to the challenge of not rubbing your eye makeup all over your eyes, if you are one of the millions of Americans who suffer from whatever it is that causes me to look like a raccoon 20 minutes after applying any eyeliner or mascara, ever. Compulsive Eye Rubbing Syndrome, maybe?
Dorian Speed recently posted..Seven Quick Takes: Posts I Haven’t Made Time to WriteMy Profile

Carolyn June 4, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Dorian, I used to have the same problem! I wear contacts and every so often one feels like it’s attacking my eye and I can’t fight the urge to rub it and make it feel better.

I started using Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes eyeliner (http://www.sephora.com/aqua-eyes-P35082?skuId=988899) and love it. If you really intently rub it, it will come off (like if you mess up and go too high up), but it stays put really really well. I used to see that all my eyeliner had disappeared by noon and was now lying beneath my eyes, giving that great racoon-like appearance, but since switching to MUFE over a year ago, I’ve not experienced it since!

bobbi @ revolution of love June 5, 2013 at 1:30 am

I need some new mascara and I will be trying the brands you recommended. The eyeliner sounds good too. Thanks for the suggestions! :-)
bobbi @ revolution of love recently posted..Five Favorites: Hair EditionMy Profile

bobbi @ revolution of love June 5, 2013 at 1:31 am

@dorian – This is hilarious. I can’t count how many times I rubbed my eyes and exclaimed, dang it! I forgot I had makeup on today. ;-)

Jenny June 5, 2013 at 7:26 am

As someone who has no idea what she is doing when trying to pick out make-up, this post is wonderful. And to find out that the one lipstick I have bought and liked was the first product on your list made me smile. I have it in 3 different shades. I will have to try the mascara you suggested since I have the shortest, straightest lashes ever!
Jenny recently posted..Goodbye May (and that extra toe)My Profile

Hallie @ Moxie Wife June 5, 2013 at 8:06 am

Ha! Yes, the bane of eyeliner wearing women everywhere. This post addresses the issue well, I think. Hope that helps! :)

kristin loboda June 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

Love, love, love how your post today! I am trying all of these and I am already using the Crusher :).

Hallie @ Moxie Wife June 5, 2013 at 8:12 am

It is! And no, you definitely don’t need to wear foundation to wear concealer (I’ve never worn foundation but wear concealer every day). The key is finding the right shade so that it blends in well.

Jen’s guest post has some great tips for how to apply and select the right concealer for your skin tone. :)

jen a June 5, 2013 at 8:26 am

Anyone <a href="http://www.sephora.com/targeted-eye-remover-swabs-P378041?skuId=1479112&quot; try these? I saw them on the Sephora website. Eye-make-up correction on the go.

jen a June 5, 2013 at 8:27 am

Anyone try these? I saw them on the Sephora website. Eye-make-up correction on the go.

Martha June 5, 2013 at 9:24 am

How old is your newborn?! I love that you’re talking about makeup at a point when most mothers are trying to get themselves to actually just clothe themselves in something other than jammies. You are the ultimate girly girl! :D

Cate June 5, 2013 at 11:03 am

I am seriously going to go get some of that mascara TODAY. I usually pick up a new brand every single time, because I’ve yet to find one that makes me wholly happy. Fingers crossed that it works for my crazily lacking lashes! Thanks for the tip!
Cate recently posted..Five Favorites: Vol. 9My Profile

Olivia June 5, 2013 at 11:37 am

Hallie, thank you thank you thank you! I’ve been dying for some advice like this.

Quick question- I’m in the market for new blush and I love the idea of the Dream Mousse Blush. I know the concept is that it is light, but is it really? My skin is oily, especially on my cheeks, and most blushes feel heavy and overly-dewy on my face by the end of the day. Do you think Maybelline has solved that problem?! I can only hope…
Olivia recently posted..Five Favorites: Denver DiscoveriesMy Profile

Rakhi @ The Pitter Patter Diaries June 5, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Love these tips! I am always on the hunt for good drugstore makeup. I feel like I don’t wear it enough to buy the expensive stuff… With my darker skin tone, I have a really hard time finding concealer. Are there any brands you would recommend?

On the blushing end of things, a friend of mine bought me liquid(!!) blush one time, which I LOVED. Probably very similar to the creme – you just put a couple drop on the apple of your cheek and blend up and in. It also smelled like roses…perhaps I should look into that since that is one item I regularly wear.

I will check out the eyeliner tip too – I use liquid liner with a brush, but it sometimes comes off looking very harsh…
Rakhi @ The Pitter Patter Diaries recently posted..Five Faves: Potent Potpourri for $1000, AlexMy Profile

Jenna@CallHerHappy June 5, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for the mascara run-down! I love this idea for a five faves too :)

Joy @ Caspara June 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Great post!! There are definitely some products here that I must try! I just quit trying to make some horrible Avon mascara my MIL gave me work — clumps, flaking, taking too long to dry — and bought some pricier but wonderful Bare Minerals stuff. But I will have to try the Maybelline when this runs out!
Joy @ Caspara recently posted..MannaMy Profile

KAthlern June 5, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Love the make up suggestions!
KAthlern recently posted..5 favorites: I stink at life edition..My Profile

Erica Saint June 5, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I am all about lipstick that lasts all day. This morning I had some shopping to do, so I added Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede Lipstick to my list. I bought it in color #045 Supermodel. I promptly put it on and wore it all day. I am very happy with it! What a great buy for around $7. I was nervous about the color, but I love it. It is a great shade for me.
Thanks!
Erica Saint recently posted..Five Favorites #2My Profile

Erica Saint June 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Hi Rakhi, my medium skin tone quickly turns a very deep tan early in the spring thanks to spending lots of time outside(even with sunscreen). In the past, I had a hard time finding a natural looking darker makeup to wear in the warmer months until I found Milani at Target last summer. I have been very happy with their multitasker powder. They do sell concealers, but I have not tried them. They have a website, milanicosmetics.com

Ana @Time Flies June 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Oh, these are fabulous and I am so glad that I need to run to the store tomorrow. Thank you!

Kinga June 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm

My first time on the FF:)
I will try to use your recommendations on the Revlon’s lipstick and Maybelline concealer :)
Kinga recently posted..My five favorites ( this week)My Profile

Amelia B. June 5, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Thank you!!!

Catherine June 6, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Oh thank you for this post! I’m totally a drugstore makeup gal and this is very helpful.

Lisa June 7, 2013 at 4:09 pm

This is great, Hallie! I feel like I’m playing “eenie meenie miney mo” when I’m in the makeup aisle. Never sure which brands and products to pick!

Lindsay Loves June 8, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I recently switched to Maybelline concealer after years of CoverGirl, and I’m not going back. I have medium-brown skin (number 35 in that collection), so it can be hard to find a color that is not too dark and actually shows up on me. My adventure in pink lip gloss was disheartening, but I can rock a good deep bluish-pink anyday!
Lindsay Loves recently posted..The Year of Many WeddingsMy Profile