I First Heard His Voice on the Stereo: The Story of How We Met

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on August 15, 2013

I was seventeen when I first heard Dan’s voice.  It was the summer of 1996 and I was driving down a South Carolina highway with a group of friends. One of those friends grabbed a CD from his collection and started raving about this band called Pain that he’d recently discovered. Seconds later my future husband’s voice came pouring out of the stereo.

I just remembered that this week.

I can’t tell you how much I love the fact that not only do I remember the exact moment when I first heard Dan’s voice, but that I first heard it while I was on vacation in South Carolina — the place with which we’d eventually fall in love and endeavor to put down family roots. How about that?

I wouldn’t actually meet him, though, for over a year.

The next time I heard him, and the first time I saw him, was at The Gilman in Berkeley, California on October 9th, 1998. He was already up on stage performing with his band when I walked into the club with two of my girlfriends. One of them leaned toward me and whispered that she thought the trumpet player was cute. No, no, said I, he has nothing on that lead singer.

How We Met

I never stood a chance.

Love at first sight? Pretty close, truth be told.

Later that night, as I was standing in a friend’s San Francisco kitchen, I saw him walk through the door, blue hair and all. My heart skipped a beat, the butterflies hopped to it, and I immediately found someone to get lost in conversation with – as you do when you’re nineteen and trying to catch the eye of some cute guy.

Dan eventually made his way over to me and struck up a conversation. Now I think he would want me to let you know that he did this by cleverly and oh-so nonchalantly walking past me, pretending to glance around the corner to look for someone, turning back around, and starting up a conversation with little ol’ me because he just couldn’t seem to find that friend of his. What are you going to do?

How We Met

It was the Duck Face that caught his eye, I’m sure.

We hit it off immediately and spent the rest of the evening defending our right to privacy against his commune-loving bandmate and generally trying to impress one another with our witty banter. He needn’t have bothered. He had me the minute he realized that I was in pursuit of a Woodchuck Apple Cider that no longer existed. He handed me his newly opened bottle (the last of the party’s cider coffers) and I was his and it was love.

Sadly, he had to travel on to his next show so he left town and I had nary a kiss to remember him by.

So I wrote him a letter! (Oh, you don’t even know how much I wish he would burn that thing. No woman should be forced to live her life knowing that a letter she wrote to a boy when she was nineteen years old still exists.)

Lest you think that he raced to the post office with his response hours after he received my communique, let me save you the suspense. It would be another four months before he got around to writing me back.

Four months, girls.

How We Met

In his defense, he did offer to do penance for the crime of neglect.

In fact, his response arrived just days before he was due to return to California for more shows. I’m sure you will all understand how this might have led me to believe that he simply wrote me back to avoid awkwardness. I savored every word of his letter, read it 583 times, and told my friends that there was no way I was going to that show.

I went to the show.

…where I stood behind my 6’6’’ friend the whole time Dan was on stage so that he wouldn’t be able to see me. It was an awesome show. It really was. And I spent the entire time hiding.

After the show I sat outside with my friends laughing, chatting, and yes, continuing to hide. They, of course, mocked me mercilessly and told me to go inside and find Dan.

And I told them that would never, ever happen, not in a million years.

And then the Holy Spirit got all up in my business. You think I jest. Ha. I didn’t even know the Holy Spirit yet but nevertheless he lifted me up out of that chair (and I mean that quite literally) and pushed me back into the club and into Dan’s arms for one of the sweetest, most tender hugs I’ve ever received.

It was at that moment that I knew. This was him.

I had found the one whom my soul loves. (Props to Song of Solomon.)

How We Met

My blue-haired boy back in 1998.

I invited him to a party. He said yes. We sat together in the back seat of a friend’s car. My heart thumped. He asked me what my favorite song in the entire world was. And I said (wait for it): Brimful of Asha.

No, I really did. I know you think I’m lying. I wish I was lying. But I said Brimful of Asha.

And he said, “Really? You think that is the best song ever created?” And I, not one to undig my heels, assured him that yes, it was. I even included an eloquent defense of the song. Because, don’t you know, everyone really does need “a bosom for a pillow.” Did he have something against world peace?

He assured me that he did not, and all was well.

When we got to the party I noticed a gash on his hand and offered to clean it up and put a band-aid on it. It was at that moment that he reports that he, too, suspected that he’d found the one whom his soul loves. (You’ll have to ask him why he required an extra three hours to come to that conclusion. I have yet to get a satisfactory answer, I’m afraid.)

How We Met

Do you think it was the tree hugging that gave him pause?

Finally, despite the many people milling about, he managed to get me alone. And then the pizza got in the way.

In the words of my determined now-husband:

“By the way, when you came back into the stereo/dance room with your pizza slice, I knew I wanted to lay a smack on you, but I had to time it just right in between your bites. It was like trying to catch a swinging trapeze. I had to wait ’till the pizza was sufficiently far away from your mouth to avoid a midair collision, yet I had to be sure the bite you’d just taken was adequately chewed up, otherwise we would have had a real mess on our hands. Well, thank God, calamity was avoided, and all-in-all I think our first kiss went rather well.”

I did, too, and so the rest is history.

One month later I flew into New Orleans and spent two weeks traveling around the southeast with him and that August I moved into my first apartment in Mobile, AL to be near him. There was that little issue of him thinking that he might be being called to the priesthood but I sorted all that out with God in short order (wink, wink) and we were married on a cool October night in 2001.

It was true: we had found the one whom our souls love.

How We Met

To have and to hold.

Linking up with Grace’s How We Met link-up! I hope you’ll do the same! Love stories make the word go round, don’t you know.

Casey August 15, 2013 at 8:22 am

I’m not sure I’ve ever left a comment here before, but I just had to because that is SUCH a cute how-we-met love story! I love it!

Reading all these great how we met stories in the linkup almost makes me want to blog about my own. It’s not all that exciting, but maybe I’ll do it.
Casey recently posted..Learning to Love Myself (Vol. 3)My Profile

Casey August 15, 2013 at 8:36 am

I don’t think I’ve ever commented here before, but I had to today because this is SUCH a cute how we met love story! I love it!

Reading all these wonderful how we met love stories at the link up almost makes me want to write about my own. It’s not all that exciting, but maybe I will write a blog post about it. Thanks for sharing!
Casey recently posted..Learning to Love Myself (Vol. 3)My Profile

Jen August 15, 2013 at 9:02 am

Love, love, love this story. So glad you posted it!
Jen recently posted..Why a show about meth dealers made me feel closer to GodMy Profile

Samantha August 15, 2013 at 10:36 am

Brimful of Asha really is a fab song. Good pick.

Christy August 15, 2013 at 10:39 am

Ohhh! Swoon! What a wonderful love story! I love hearing how about the funny things that stick out in our memories about how we fell in love! Beautiful!
Christy recently posted..Summer Doldrums…My Profile

Lynn August 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

What a wonderful story! Are your husband’s old band’s songs on iTunes? I’d love to check them out.

Laura August 15, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hallie, Did you and Dan convert to Catholicism around the same time? Maybe you’ve already written about this but I haven’t read all your archives.
Laura recently posted..Five Favorites: More BooksMy Profile

kate August 15, 2013 at 11:42 am

This story takes the cake. Seriously, this is one of the dreamiest stories I’ve heard! But I just have to know how you went from SC to CA to SC again. So please, I now need a 12 year recap. ;)
kate recently posted..clothed with the sunMy Profile

Julie August 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

You must turn this into a book to give to your children when they’re older. What a story!

Hallie @ Moxie Wife August 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Dan’s actually a cradle Catholic (though he did have a fairly profound reversion experience in 2000). I converted in 2001. I know I’ve written about our journey for a couple of different publications but I don’t think I’ve ever shared it on the blog. Maybe I’ll do that soon. :)

Hallie @ Moxie Wife August 15, 2013 at 12:26 pm

They are! Their CDs are called Midgets with Guns, Wonderful Beef, Full Speed Ahead, and Jabberjaw.

Some of their songs are on YouTube, too. Here’s one I found pretty easily:

Jenny August 15, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I love this so much, especially because I also fell in love with and married a man with a unique past life and a similarly questionable hair style.
Jenny recently posted..I married the cabana boy (Fifth Anniversary Edition)My Profile

Julia August 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm

So sweet! I totally ignored the neighbor kid ringing the door bell just now so I could finish reading! I got to know my husband through letters because of the point of life we were in when we first met. I wouldn’t have had it any other way (although sometimes I’m scared that he has that written evidence of my thoughts at 19 and 20!) We used that Song of Soloman scripture on our wedding invitations & favors. I may have felt it was true back then, but man, to imagine how I’ll feel about the scripture 50 years from now is what rocks my world! :) Thanks for sharing this, I want to read true love stories all afternoon now :)
Julia recently posted..Five Faves: Ted Talks, Summer Eats, my Bloggy Snack, Incredible people, a quote and what I wrote.My Profile

Rosie August 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I think I love the way you wrote this almost as much as I love the story itself! Enchanting – although I must say, now I’m craving more blue-haired pictures ;)
Rosie recently posted..Awkward ConversationsMy Profile

Grace August 15, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I’ve read this three times. You’re a wordsmith. I almost wish it was a multiple parter so I could read MORE. or maybe I’ll just go for a 4th!

love this.

Sarah August 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I second the request for a Part 2. Make something up if you have to. ;)

Danielle August 15, 2013 at 4:27 pm

You are so good at reminding me how much fun love really is! Thanks for sharing your story :)
Danielle recently posted..Saying “Yes”My Profile

Colleen Martin August 15, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Swooning….
Colleen Martin recently posted..He Said, She SaidMy Profile

Julia August 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

(I only ignored the neighbor kid for 15 seconds. That just sounded mean now that I look back on it!)

Marcy K. August 16, 2013 at 12:05 am

Yes, it was really great! We need a Part 2, 3,4….

Helene August 16, 2013 at 2:11 am

You guys are soooo luuuuvable!!!!!!!

Micaela @ California to Korea August 16, 2013 at 3:20 am

Dreamy. Just absolutely dreamy. I agree that love stories make the world to ’round. If only mine wasn’t so controversial. Sigh. I don’t think hubby will allow me to share it online. But if we ever get a chance to have a glass of wine together, I’d be happy to spill. ;)
Micaela @ California to Korea recently posted..Faith: Theme ThursdayMy Profile

Tricia Goyer August 16, 2013 at 6:40 am

I loved this story! So fun! Thanks for the smile today.
Tricia Goyer recently posted..5 Benefits of Being Still Before GodMy Profile

Cari August 16, 2013 at 9:15 am

This is, I am embarrassed to admit, the only one of these love stories Ive read. Absolutely worth the discretion. Beautiful and tormented and absolutely unrepeatable in space and time.

Anabelle hazard August 16, 2013 at 9:21 am

I love how the Holy Spirit played such a major role in your love story. I’m adding this to my online collection of Catholic love stories written by the finger of God. And by the way, your writing voice is so sweet and romantic and its the reason why I like reading what you write.
Anabelle hazard recently posted..How To Become Rich and $ave your $oulMy Profile

Gail Finke August 16, 2013 at 10:39 am

What a great story. Thanks so much for sharing it. I spend so much time online for work that I don’t get to many “fun” blogs but I’m glad I read this post. It reminds me of what’s important!

Caroline M. August 16, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I just love this story! That’s like something you would read in a book (or see in a movie.) Speaking of which, when are you going to get cracking on that?
Caroline M. recently posted..Seven Quick Takes: Attack of the SquirrelMy Profile

KAthlern August 16, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Love it! We also have letters from my 19 year old hand. So funny to read back on!
KAthlern recently posted..7QT: Potty Failures, Pigs, and Prayers.My Profile

jen a August 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

Really amazing story. Like a 1990s movie, but better :-)

Britt August 20, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Love, love, love this! Not only the story, but your way of writing it! You guys are great!!
Britt recently posted..ZooMy Profile

Sarah @ Basic Ingredients August 20, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Your love story has got to be the cutest I have ever read. God is amazing, isn’t He? I love how he brings two people together. I am excited because I get to review your husband’s book with the Catholic Company review program as soon as the book gets here! I was so excited when I saw it on the list of books to choose from because it’s been on my list for awhile. :)
Sarah @ Basic Ingredients recently posted..Practice makes PerfectMy Profile

Jenna@CallHerHappy August 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm

So many happy tears while reading this. You two are just gems.
Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..Mantilla Link Up DeetsMy Profile