by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on September 25, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

Benefit Eye Bright

Benefit Eye Bright

Sweet Charlie continues to amaze us all with his lack of need for anything resembling sleep. He is go go go, all the time. Benefit claims that their Eye Bright pencil will make users look wide-awake and radiant and I’m not going to lie to you, that isn’t happening over here. But does it make me look kind of awake and not quite so dull? Why yes, it does — which is really pretty near miraculous.

It really is a great product for tired moms! Let me know what you think if you try it out!

The Reasonably Clean House by Leila of Like Mother, Like Daughter

“Your home has many areas that express family life, but your bedroom expresses the foundational relationship between you and your spouse — the inner sanctum where the sacrament of your marriage is consecrated and continually renewed with the conjugal gift.

If it weren’t for the intimate aspect of your commitment, your family would not be. God has ordained it so. It was that way from the very start. It has always been that way. It always will be that way.

That reality should be expressed in your respect for this physical place, for your body, for the body of your husband. Your first steps should be to make the room — the bed and the places for your clothes — truly orderly…”

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had resolved to make my bed each and every morning. I think I have about a 75% success rate so far which, for me, is pretty impressive.

Leila of Like Mother, Like Daughter speaks eloquently in this post about the importance of making our bedrooms a sacred space in which we can renew and strengthen our relationship with our husbands. It’s a must-read.

“All Out Of” Grocery List Template

"All Out Of" grocery list template

Is it weird that a grocery list would bring me unspeakable joy? What can I say? It has a magnet and everything!

A magnet, girls.

6 Things I Learned On My Internet Sabbatical by EPBOT

“If even 10% of readers left positive feedback on every post they read, we could drown out the trolls with an avalanche of encouragement – and how cool would that be? It doesn’t take much; just click that “like” every time, or fire off a quick compliment in the comments. I’ve learned the value of a kind word over and over these past five years, so I’m trying to be a little less of a lurker and spread a little more love on sites I follow – particularly the smaller ones that get very few FB likes or interaction. Even if I didn’t think that particular post was particularly brilliant, I default to a state of praise, and I’ve found I’m that much cheerier for it. (And as a bonus, I get more of a relationship with artists & bloggers I admire as a result!)”

Truth be told, I don’t get many trolls around here. Most people are incredibly sweet. Some of my closest friends get all kinds of hateful comments on their blogs, though. Few things make me angrier than seeing good women get creamed in the combox by angry people who clearly have serious issues that need to be dealt with. We can’t make them go away but do you know what we can do? Just what Jen (authoress of EPBOT and Cake Wrecks) suggests above: drown out the vitriol with love.

If you can, take a few minutes to leave a little encouragement for some of your favorite writers today. You can’t imagine what a difference it makes on a bad day.

The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks

The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks

It’s been a bit of a tiring week over here with sick little ones and a teething baby. Tonight will find me soaking in the bath with Nicholas Sparks’ new release, bubbles, and a beverage. I cannot wait.

Kisses and hugs and love!

Kendra September 25, 2013 at 2:45 am

I am a huge fan of Jen and Epbot, and you of course, so can I just take this moment to say: Great post, love it, love you!
Kendra recently posted..How to be the Boss of a One Year OldMy Profile

Mrs. K September 25, 2013 at 3:47 am

Hallie,
You are inspiring! Sleep-deprivation, sick kids, and teething have nothing on you. Your writing builds us up all of your readers. And you look beautiful always. Thank you for what you do.
Mrs. K recently posted..Five FavoritesMy Profile

Hevel September 25, 2013 at 7:16 am

#4. I usually remain quiet when there are posts that make me angry. Usually they are hateful posts thinly veiled in godliness. I occasionally set people straight who confuse the word “prude” with “bigot”. It happens more often than you’d think.

#2. I think there are only two really tidy rooms in our house: the master bedroom and the kosher kitchen, even though we live most of our lives in these two rooms. Currently I have three kids doing schoolwork on top of my bed.
Hevel recently posted..Five FavouritesMy Profile

Sara September 25, 2013 at 7:24 am

My husband makes the bed, generally, because he got into the habit when I had such bad back problems that it was too painful. Now I can, but…eh. ;-) I do like to come to my room for the first time, at the end of the day, and find it neat and tidy!
Sara recently posted..Favorite School SnackMy Profile

Ellen Thrifty & Chic Mom September 25, 2013 at 8:37 am

I am truly loving your Take 5s each week, not sure my husband is because each week I have a new things I want ;) thanks for the great recommendations!
Ellen Thrifty & Chic Mom recently posted..Buckey Waffle Bites Recipe #EggoWaffleOffMy Profile

Katie September 25, 2013 at 8:38 am

Oh your plans for tonight sound heavenly! I’m excited to know that there’s a new Nicholas Sparks book out – heading to the library website to put my copy on hold right now!
Katie recently posted..Five Favorites {September 25th}My Profile

kate September 25, 2013 at 8:39 am

Oh you may have me sold on this eye bright. I have dark circles even when I’m not tired (my husband jokes that my family-trait of “sad eyes” are the reason why smiling Irish eyes are such a big deal… hah!). I usually only wear makeup when I have something to conceal but I have yet to find a good solution for the eyes! Thanks friend! I’ll let you know if I try it out. ;)
kate recently posted..five favorites vol. 3My Profile

Kat Crow September 25, 2013 at 10:01 am

So last week you mentioned the Smash journals I was so inspired I ordered one so thanks you, I had no idea they existed :) I have a question about Nicolas Sparks novels, they always seem like they would be a fun read but I don’t watch the movies that come out of the books because of their sex scenes. Are there sex scenes in his books or is that just a Hollywood thing?
Kat Crow recently posted..General Update (No, I couldn’t think of a better title)My Profile

Heather September 25, 2013 at 10:32 am

I like your recommendios, Lord. And that is not Spanish for ANYthing, I believe. But you get what I’m sayin. The eye pencil brightener thing looks perfect for my life, and I like all of everything you just said there in number four. I’m gonna make that my goal.
Going on 4ish hours of sleep here. Cheers, lady.
Heather recently posted..I’m No TheologianMy Profile

Caroline M. September 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

I need to try that eye brightener: these concealers just aren’t cutting it.
Caroline M. recently posted..Five Favorites: Quick Fixes for the DoldrumsMy Profile

Christy September 25, 2013 at 11:47 am

I love all the Benefit under-eye stuff. Its all gold! Sometimes people tell me I look good, and I’ll respond, “Thank God for expensive makeup!”

And Nora started sleeping better this week…finally! And she’s two weeks older than Charlie? Maybe he’ll turn the corner soon! I hope!
Christy recently posted..Seven Quick Takes vol 60My Profile

anna lisa September 25, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Lovely as usual.
I don’t usually comment because of interruptions, but you are right, I should express my appreciation when it is there. I have a four year old who is on request number three for some French toast, as we speak. She just zoomed in a couple of minutes ago with: “don’t forget the cinnamon!”
My life on the fly makes me disregard common conventions of punctuation, so I apologize.
I really liked what you wrote, not so long ago, about deciding to accept love when we
aren’t in a great mood.
I’m wondering if the eye brightener goes on the inner bottom lash line, or on the brow bone…
My other random contribution about making the bedroom a sacred space is this:
We used to sleep in a Spanish chapel. Hahahaha, I’m not kidding though. It’s in an old Spanish hacienda, and we decided we wanted to be out of earshot of all our kids :D. It has a cupola and an altar…
A friend came over and upon checking out our unconventional sacred space said, “well, maybe you should name your next kid Immaculata…”
We liked the chapel room a lot, and the fact that you could throw open the doors to a courtyard and fountain , but we realized that we were being a little selfish. Our dining room table was in the living room, and was a little cramped. Alas, our bedroom chapel is now a dining room…it was nice while it lasted…

Annery September 25, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Loved this. Especially about the magnetic list and the comment love. It’s so true, a comment doesn’t have to be particularly deep or amazing to bring you a smile….like a little digital footprint that someone stopped over and enjoyed the visit :)
Annery recently posted..The Gift of Knowing and {WWRW} The Mark of AthenaMy Profile

Jenny September 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Just finished that book and I loved it. Not too smutty and just the right touch of ‘aww’ without being overly saccharine as Sparks can sometimes be.
Jenny recently posted..Room for CreamMy Profile

Emily September 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I am sorry for not commenting before! I love your posts and nearly always read your five favorites on wendsday even though that is a super busy day for me! Thanks for posting!

Jenna@CallHerHappy September 25, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I have never read a Sparks book before. I know… Would you rec this one for a first timer?

And, I too try to make my bed every morning. For some reason it makes me feel like I already accomplished something, and then the rest of my day wants to follow suit.

Thanks for sharing. Now go love your magnet some more ;)
Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..Ellen ChatterMy Profile

Andrea September 26, 2013 at 6:03 am

Ooo, I am terrible about making the bed. 75% sounds like a real win to me! That’s a good challenge!

Rakhi @ The Pitter Patter Diaries September 26, 2013 at 9:37 am

Drat! I thought I left a note yesterday and wouldn’t you know, my feed reader ate it. That hungry little thing. I LOVE that grocery list. I was just in the midst of designing one for myself, but now I will check out the one you found. Why reinvent?? :) Of course, we have some strange staples at the Casa these days.

As for the undereye concealer…if there was one that worked magic on any skintone, it would be sheer genius and that person would be the richest person on earth both in terms of their net worth AND in prayers of thanksgiving from tired mamas! I still can’t find one that works for me (and probably have no idea how to actually apply it so there could be user error involved I suppose).

Have a lovely rest of your week!

Joann September 26, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Your #3 All Out Of grocery list pad looks like a winner!! …. now if I can only get my family to use it!?! LoL

Anne McD September 26, 2013 at 11:59 pm

When talking to friend about the laundry situation in my bedroom, she told me straight up, “get the laundry out of the bedroom–laundry isn’t sexy.”

Leila September 29, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thanks for the link to that post of mine — I appreciate it! I like Anne’s comment above that laundry isn’t sexy — I didn’t put it that way in the post, but… ;)

Anna September 30, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Would you believe that I found one of those “All Out Of” pads at the thrift store?? I snagged it, and am using it.