Sex Advice: Lead Us Not Into Google

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on July 2, 2014

My finger hovered over the “publish” button. I drew a shaky breath. For months I’d been thinking about publishing this ebook but kept asking myself, “Do you really want to be ‘that Catholic woman who published a book about great sex‘?”

Three years ago, while we were working on Style, Sex, and Substance, contributing writer Elizabeth Duffy sent a questionnaire to hundreds of Catholic women asking them about their sex lives: Were they satisfied? With what issues did they most struggle? And their husbands? Were they content? Was there tension?

I was taken aback and saddened to see just how many women reported being dissatisfied with the sexual-love aspect of their marriage. Inspired and informed by the feedback she received, Elizabeth wrote an excellent chapter on the topic for our book.

After the book released, I started receiving emails from women about their intimate lives and the struggles they faced. At best, they said, sex wasn’t fun. At worst, it was a source of enormous marital tension…

To read more, just head over to Patheos where I have the pleasure and privilege of guest posting this week!

Virginia July 3, 2014 at 9:10 am

I read the whole article last night at Patheos and I had to chuckle at the “Do you really want to be ‘that Catholic woman who published a book about great sex?’” part. That’s a big, sometimes awkward role but you know what? I am so glad you did. When we converted, to be honest, we kind of thought we’d have to become prudes. We gave up birth control, held hands, and said in sad, bitter voices, “time to be uber chaste…grump grump grump.” Not only were we wrong, but after I read Humanae Vitae, your two books, and other articles, I realized we were VERY wrong. So, your voice is needed! wanted! so very important! and all us Catholic ladies in the vocation of wife thank you very much, dear Hallie!

Amanda July 3, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Is there any plans to make this into a print copy?

Amy July 4, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Hallie, is this book accessible if I don’t have a kindle or nook?

Erin July 5, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Hallie, thank you so much for writing this article. So, so many Catholic women need to know that they are not alone. And so many of us need to read your fantastic little book–thanks for pushing “Publish.”;) I want to also highly recommend to your readers Simcha Fisher’s “The Sinner’s Guide to Natural Family Planning.” Thank you and Simcha so much for being Catholic Women Who Write about Sex. God bless you and inspire you to keep writing in His timing about marriage. You have given me, for one, a lot of HOPE for my own marriage.:)

“Your marriage has as much potential as God has power.” Thanks for this one in particular in an old post of yours!

Erin July 5, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Amy,

I don’t have a Kindle or a Nook, but I have a smart phone. I downloaded the Kindle app for free (yay!) and I read the book on my phone! It was still only $2.99 I think. It was also nice because I have the book on my phone and not on a device where someone else could accidentally find it…although my husband thought it was pretty adorable that I was reading this book at all….:)

Erin
Erin recently posted..Happily Ever After MomentsMy Profile

Amy July 5, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Perfect! Thank you!

Comments on this entry are closed.