The Best Fitness Tools in all the Land

by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on August 10, 2014

Yesterday, after reading Jenny’s latest post about her wellness journey, I texted her to tell her about one of my favorite new weight loss tools (I’m on a new kick now that Edel is over)…and then I texted her again to share another tool I love…and then a few minutes later sent another text sailing through the air to her about….well, you get the idea. Anyway, in the middle of my furious texting I decided that I’d just write a post about the whole thing in case any of you are as obsessed with such things as I am. Here goes…

FitBit

FitBit
I realize that this is the millionth time I’ve raved about my FitBit but it’s just that great. It’s actually been collecting a bit of dust this summer because I got frustrated that all of our pool time was hurting my step count (I know, I know, I have issues). Once the temperature starts to drop, though, it will become my daily companion again, for sure.

FitBook

FitBook
I love that the Fit Book weight loss journal lasts just 12 weeks. There’s something so…doable about that. It’s also compact and spiral bound and all the things that a weight loss journal should be. It’s super motivating and has helped me lose five pounds in the last week alone. I’m pretty smitten.

Happy Scale App

HappyScaleApp
The Happy Scale app is super simple. It’s basically just a weight loss tracker. You can add in mini goals which is great but it doesn’t come with any other bells and whistles. What it does come with is an intimate understanding of my angst. Built into the graph is a little line that averages weight loss and shows you the overall trend. Gained a pound back one day? No worries! Happy Scale says you’re still trending in the right direction! Brilliant.

Kettlebell

KettleBell
I love my Kettlebell and I love my Kettlebell workout. Truth be told, my Kettlebell has been just about as neglected as my FitBit this summer but I pulled it out from under my bed this past weekend and am really excited to start using it again. It’s incredibly effective and great for those days when you don’t have a lot of time.

Contigo Water Bottle

Kangaroo Water Bottle
Oh, water bottle with built-in storage compartment, where have you been all my life?

So, there you have it! My very favorite weight loss tools! If you have any tools that you can’t live without, I’d love to hear about them!

Love you, sweet peas!

Heather August 11, 2014 at 9:23 am

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post the details here because it’s one of my businesses, but I use Plexus products for weight loss. I love the taste and that it’s not a meal replacement. I also enjoy more energy!
Heather recently posted..Homeschool Used Book SaleMy Profile

brooke August 11, 2014 at 9:29 am

I am right there with you! This is so stupidly simple, but I have been tracking my water. I used to be water bottle girl, but I am finding that if I just drink a tall glass of room temp water about every 2-3 hours, I get all my water in throughout the day. I love my fitbit, too!

Virginia August 11, 2014 at 9:32 am

Why have I never seen that water bottle before?!?! I’m adding it to my wishlist.

I love the idea of a physical weight loss book. I have tried using apps off and on for years, but I wonder if I had a physical book to write in it would make it more real. Hm.

So, I totally have a fitbit bracelet thingy that I bought from a friend about a year ago. I wore it maybe two days. You are the third person in my blog reading this week to rant and rave about using it. Sigh. Guess I’d better try it out again.
Virginia recently posted..Triple F: Favorite Foodie FindsMy Profile

Laura the Ringmistress August 11, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Okay, the kettlebell. I keep looking at them and seeing in my mind one of my little swinging them…right into the television…or a glass window…or someone’s head. Am I meeting my overactive imagination get the better of me?

I’m two months post-partum so I thinks it’s safe for me to start getting back to a fitness routine. I love the squat challenges (no equipment needed!) and we have a towering machine, but upper body strength is definitely something that needs work.
Laura the Ringmistress recently posted..Seven Quick Takes on Cars, Providence, and Mooing ActorsMy Profile

Laura the Ringmistress August 11, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Typo corrections to the above; “children” should follow “little”, “meeting” should read “letting”, I “think”, not “thinks”, and while “towering”, it’s a “rowing” machine.

Sheesh. I hate auto correct.

Gina August 12, 2014 at 4:14 pm

This is so great! You’re the second person in a few weeks to say they like the kettlebell. I think it’s time for me to try it out.

Also–I’m running a series on fitness on my blog this month. Mind if I like back to your post? I think it would be a perfect fit. :)
-Gina
Gina recently posted..Tea Time: A Few Book Suggestions and RecipesMy Profile

Holly August 16, 2014 at 11:25 pm

I just got back from a 4 day Dall sheep hunt with my husband and I really wanted a fitbit, but since they don’t use gps (can we say, elevation?!) I didn’t think it would be worth it. I ended up buying a cheapo $15 pedometer instead. Still, though my 2,600 calories for walking 20 miles is a joke without including elevation and a backpack.

Mary D August 21, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I’ve seen many raves for the Fitbit but…I just don’t get it. What exactly does it do for you? I already know that I sleep poorly and sit around too much, what am I missing?

Also, I was all psyched to start kettlebelling–it looks like a ton of fun–but then I broke my toe (I kicked my daughter. Yes really. Ok is was the bottom of her shoe and it was an accident.) and now all I can think is that I will drop a ‘bell on my foot and die. How far fetched is that? (Ok, not the death part, I know that’s a *slight* exaggeration.)

Wrenaissance Art August 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Did you know that in the “you may also like” link list there is a link to a crystal-ball-astrology site? Kinda weird.
Re: the fitness tools. I’ve used Tap’n’Track for the last 3 years while dropping ~10-12 lbs. Not sophisticated, but it has a wide range of foods and activities. Kettle ball looks like fun, but with a bad hip and back, I think I need to pass.
Try a Scottie for a workout partner! Our 2 demand an hour’s walk a day ;-).
A border collie or JRT will do as a substitute.
Wrenaissance Art recently posted..Travels with Sketchbook: The Grand CanyonMy Profile

Nina September 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I love my Concept2 indoor rowing machine at home, but you can find them at the YMCA or other gym. http://www.Concept2.com, includes free online logbook. I did the “LiveStrong at the Y” program. I also have a FitBit wristband. It’s fascinating how it confirms my husband’s report of my restless sleep even when I don’t remember it in the AM. :-)

Comments on this entry are closed.