by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on May 14, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

We moved to Charleston during my first trimester, my second trimester hit right in the middle of the crazy holiday season, and my third trimester found me melodramatically lying on my couch.

Why am I sharing this with you? Simply to explain why it took me no less than nine months to feather my new nest. Our home was so spartan that visitors couldn’t help but comment. In a nice way, of course, but still. They noticed. And though Jen’s fantastic post tried to assure me that this was not a result of my laziness, I have to admit to being pretty relieved when the home decorating bug finally hit me last week.

My Dad happened to be visiting from California and wanted to buy me a birthday present (so sweet!) so we headed to my favorite thrift store while my awesome husband watched the kids. To say that we hit the jackpot might be a little bit of an understatement.

Here, take a peek at my five favorite thrift store finds:

photo (29)

My Dad and I didn’t end up buying this one when we went shopping but I did send Dan a picture and then wouldn’t stop talking about it so he took it upon himself to pick it up, bring it home, and give it to me for Mother’s Day (along with those gorgeous tulips).

He’s the sweetest.

And an amazing writer. (Excerpt hereAwesome review here!)

I just love him to pieces.

photo (30)

This one was a birthday gift from my Dad and brings me such joy for the promise it holds. Can’t you just hear it crying out, “Your children will never lose their coats or shoes again!!!”? Or is that just my imagination? (Shhhhh! Don’t break the spell!)

photo (34)

Another gift from my Dad! I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love this dinette set. Sitting in front of that big picture window in the morning with sweet Charlie, a book, and a cup of coffee has filled my mornings with such sweetness.

photo (33)

Wish me luck (or pray your little hearts out) as I attempt to turn this into a chalkboard! I’m not exactly the crafty type. I just hope I make up for it in enthusiasm because I’ve got buckets of that.

photo (32)

This picture doesn’t do this shelf justice. The color is simply gorgeous in real life. It currently sits to the right of my new dinette set and opposite the mirror above. I’m thinking of perching chalk on the top of it but if you have any other ideas for what it could hold please let me know!

Happy favorite-ing, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Stefanie @ A Dreamer's Wife May 14, 2013 at 9:52 pm

You are inspiring me to hit some thrift stores right now! I’ve been missing out!
Stefanie @ A Dreamer’s Wife recently posted..Five Favorites vol. 7My Profile

Kathleen May 14, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I am so jealous that you live in Charleston. My husband and I dream about moving there and living on Rainbow row. If you ever have a date night you have to go to Fleet Landing and order the Lump Crab Bruschetta and the She Crab soup. I would seriously drive there right now to have it again! So darn good.
Kathleen recently posted..Five Favs: California edition..My Profile

Erica Saint May 14, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I love all of your thrift store finds! Good luck with the mirror to chalkboard transformation!
Erica Saint recently posted..Five Favorites #1My Profile

Elisa | blissfulE May 15, 2013 at 1:57 am

Seriously. JACKPOT!!!

In my experience, God frequently uses thrift shops to answer prayers. :)
Elisa | blissfulE recently posted..seedlingsMy Profile

Amelia May 15, 2013 at 5:56 am

We have coat/shoe rack and sadly we deal with lost coats/shoes all the time. But, yours is much, much, much prettier than mine is, so I think yours probably does hold magical never-losing-shoes-or-coats again promise that mine lacks
Amelia recently posted..WIWS….Happy Mother’s Day from a Real Mom to Real MomsMy Profile

craftyP May 15, 2013 at 7:13 am

those are some FABULOUS thrift store finds! I wish I had the time to go… my mom often texts me pics of something she has found and currently, my garage/basement are filled with my recent finds that need “fixing up” (aka paint!).
craftyP recently posted..Five Favorites: Mary & Max editionMy Profile

Anne McD May 15, 2013 at 8:25 am

What adorable finds!! Thrilled for you! :)

Angie @ http://hayshousemisadventures.blogspot.com/ May 15, 2013 at 8:45 am

They are all so lovely! I am hard pressed to name my favorite! I have to tell you a little secret about the chalkboard mirror! They make vinyl rolls of chalkboard that is completely removable so if you tire of it you can take it apart and return it to its former glory as a mirror. And it is pretty reasonably priced. Maybe that would be an option?
Angie @ http://hayshousemisadventures.blogspot.com/ recently posted..Diaper DramaMy Profile

Lisa May 15, 2013 at 8:46 am

Simply amazing finds. I’m tempted to drive to Charleston just to hit up thrift stores!
Lisa recently posted..5 FavoritesMy Profile

Susan May 15, 2013 at 9:13 am

Thrift stores make my heart happy!! I was really touched that your dad bought you some things for your home. How beautiful!! Love this link-up, it’s so much fun!! And, props to your hubby for his latest success – I’m going to order the book1
Susan recently posted..Raising Boys: 10 Loving Lessons Just For MomsMy Profile

Martha May 15, 2013 at 9:33 am

I cannot believe you found such treasures at a thrift store! But then, I live in a tiny town, and so our thrift store has old junky toys, some random kitchenware, and clothes (also pretty random).

You could also try chalkboard paint on the wall, and then, after removing the mirror, just hang the frame over it… or attach framing pieces (like from Hobby Lobby) right to the wall. Or paint the whole wall with chalkboard paint (with magnetic paint underneath to make it doubly functional and fun), and hang the cute mirror somewhere else. Hmmm. Sounds like it’ll be a fun project!

I like the chalk on the shelf idea, in a cute little metal enamel pail. And more tulips. ;) Oh, I saw a kitchen redo once that had a Ball jar on a shelf filled with those big round plastic straws (like the bubble tea kind- reusable), in colors that matched the kitchen. I think they were yellow and gray. That was cute, although the kids will probably knock down the shelf trying to get them! Maybe something with form and function, like a cute wicker container with silverware. I LOVE it when beauty and practicality meet. :D

kristin loboda May 15, 2013 at 10:07 am

loving all your finds. I now feel inspired to go and do the same! :)

Hannah May 15, 2013 at 10:23 am

My GOSH I love that entryway hutch!!! And the corner cabinet is great too and the shelf….. Basically I love everything! Nice finds!
Hannah recently posted..The 5 FavsMy Profile

Jamie Jo May 15, 2013 at 11:45 am

How neat–to have such a special relationship with your dad! Love the gifts! Love that mirror!! Won’t you miss the mirror when it becomes a chalkboard? The chalkboard idea is great too though.

Thanks for hosting this, it’s so fun to join in!
Jamie Jo recently posted..Five Favorites!My Profile

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary May 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I want that bench! And a space to put it….
Kaitlin @ More Like Mary recently posted..Five Favorite BlogsMy Profile

Lisa May 15, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Love furniture finds! Love them. Would also love to see a 5 fav blog list as we are all switching over to blog login from reader!

Mary May 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Great finds, Hallie!
Mary recently posted..Pretty Presentations: Making Food BeautifulMy Profile

Rakhi May 15, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I am envious of your thrift finds…and the chance to dress your nest from scratch! We’d be looking at a nightmare if I were to start anew right now. This gives me inspiration for furnishing the basement if/when we finally clean it out… Love them all, and good luck with the chalkboard. You could always try using chalkboard adhesive paper to cover it instead of paint. Seems easier to me!
Rakhi recently posted..Five Faves: The Great EscapeMy Profile

Anna May 16, 2013 at 12:04 am

Oh, yes. Peel-and-stick chalkboard, or spraypaint chalkboard on the back side of the mirror.
Lovely finds. You weren’t kidding about spartan! I’m glad you’re settling in.

Dorian Speed May 16, 2013 at 12:58 am

Gorgeous – AND – is that a screen porch I see reflected in the mirror? Swoon.
Dorian Speed recently posted..THE PINISHERS, Volume 3: AdventuresMy Profile

Tina May 16, 2013 at 9:29 am

I had a mirror that I turned into a chalkboard too. It took a couple of coats of the spray chalkboard paint, but it works! Of course, I wrote something on it like a year and a half ago – I have no idea if it’ll ever erase!! :p
As for the shelf? Maybe get some mason jars or something of sort and display some chalk in them?? It’ll add color and some fun-ness! Maybe even get a bag of marbles or something so do you don’t have all chalk?? Get funky!! ;)
Tina recently posted..7QT – Picture additionMy Profile