by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on July 30, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

Well, hello, girls! We completed our four flight voyage to Texas and back with surprisingly few bumps in the road (and air) thanks to your fantastic flying with children advice. You all are the best. Thank you, again!

The only unpleasantness we experienced was at the hands of a Delta flight attendant who made me cry when I asked him to help me lift my suitcase into the overhead bin because I was carrying Charlie. After informing me that he was “here to assist, not do (my) job for me” he ranted on and on (and on and on and on) about how if he “breaks his back” lifting my suitcase he won’t be able to do his job and the other passengers will suffer because of me and my children. Apparently my (not very) heavy carry-on suitcase was, in his (very loud) opinion, extremely heavy. I’m sorry, Mr. Flight Attendant, but man up. If a 34-year-old woman can lift it into an overhead compartment (not to mention drag it through three airports and on and off of one train with three kids in tow) surely you and your delicate spine can manage, too.

In his defense, apparently Delta does have a policy about not lifting suitcases for passengers but oh my gosh was he mean. If he had just informed me of their policy, I would have handed Charlie to Sophia and done it myself. I think the worst part was that Lucy spent the rest of the flight asking why the flight attendant didn’t like us. Poor thing. It’s one thing to upset me, but upsetting my kids? That’s inexcusable.

The only fun I had on that flight was trying to surreptitiously read the name on the flight attendant in question’s badge from twenty feet away since he covered it up with his hand every time he passed by our aisle. And yes, my friends, I did emerge from that plane victorious because…

You have a problem, Delta, and his name is Rick.

Anyway, excuse the rant. Clearly I’m still processing my air travel meltdown. Big fun.

The rest of the trip was a dream though. Here are a few highlights…

My inestimably kind grandmother bought all of our tickets to Texas and let us stay in her gorgeous house so we got to soak up lots of family love while we were there. I wish we could visit each and every day. We had an absolute ball.

photo (42)

My sweet-as-pie grandmother with Lucy and Sophia.

My beautiful mom with Charlie B.

Friday night was spent at El Monumento with Joe and Jen Fulwiler. The food was delicious and the drinks were very satisfying indeed, but the company? The company was the BEST. I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard. I just love the two of them so much. (Jen can hook you up with more fun details right over here.)

Mr. and Mrs. Fulwiler

photo (45)

I blame my deer in the headlights look on the Pomegranate Margarita. No regrets.

I also got to meet the newest member of the Fulwiler clan! And oh, is he delicious. He and Charlie are well on their way to becoming best friends. They may not know it yet, but they are.

Future BFFs meeting for the first time.

photo (50)

Feeding my Fulwiler baby addiction.

This Pom Margarita kindly offered to rep for the entire Texas vacation culinary experience. We went out to dinner all three nights that we were in town and each night found us eating TexMex. I’d show you pictures but I was too busy savoring. TexMex = my little slice of heaven.

The Pomegranate Margarita in question.

And last but not least, my kindhearted mom bought me my first pair of Fly London shoes. Aren’t they the cutest? And isn’t she the sweetest? I adore them.

My new Fly London kicks.

I hope you are all having the loveliest of lovely weeks!

Kierstin July 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Bahaha I’ve never had a bad flight but I definitely know what it’s like to be blown away by someone’s irritability. If I was you’d I would’ve burst into tears and been talking about it the whole time. Glad you kept it together and had fun!

Grace July 30, 2013 at 9:26 pm

oh no he DIDNT.

And you let him live??

you and jen are beauty queens. I’ll still like you, I guess.
Grace recently posted..the almost proficient parent.My Profile

Colleen Martin July 30, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I hope Delta gets a hold of this tale and sends your family free roundtrip tickets to anywhere, and you can choose Cape Cod and come have a margarita with ME!!
Colleen Martin recently posted..5 Faves: Races and Faces, Toes and ShowsMy Profile

Kari July 30, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Your kids have the most adorable smiles! They are just precious!

Julie July 30, 2013 at 9:35 pm

GASP! I can’t get over your experience with the nasty flight attendant! I sure hope a fellow passenger stepped in to help you — either with a (literal) hand or a few kind words!

Lynn July 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I hope that you will talk to Delta customer service. They ought to have a shot at making it up to you, and they really ought to. Not to mention that you named names on your blog, so corporate deserves the chance to change your public opinion :) I’m sorry the guy was so nasty to you :(

Catherine July 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Sounds like such a fun trip! Well, except for crazy Rick. I love that he was trying to hide his name from you! Busted!!
Catherine recently posted..Five FavoritesMy Profile

TheReluctantWidow July 30, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Oh the stories I could tell you about rude flight attendants from a couple of our adoption trips to China. On United, they were so rude and unhelpful, I wrote a letter to the President about the experience and vowed never to fly them again. So far, 8 years later, I haven’t flown them, but with their merger with my favorite Continental, I guess I am going to have to suck it up and fly them again because my airline choices are dwindling.

Those Fly London shoes are absolutely fabulous! My 12-yr old son has recently grown even with me in height (I am only 5’2″ so it’s not a huge feat) and I have ventured into wearing wedge shoes. Normally I hate any heel at all even though I am short. I just feel so unsteady and frankly, the balls of my feet are on fire hurting after 30 minutes because I am a tad overweight and my small feet don’t like that extra weight on them. But those look like shoes I can be comfortable in. I’m heading out to the internet to purchase. Thanks for the idea!
TheReluctantWidow recently posted..How Do You Blog?My Profile

bobbi @ revolution of love July 31, 2013 at 12:53 am

The nasty guy was burning me up! Terrible.
You and Jen are too adorable. I’m going into fangirl hyperventilation.
Your mom look so young!
Those shoes are super cute! Googling them now. :-)
bobbi @ revolution of love recently posted..Five Favorites: British Entertainment EditionMy Profile

Jenny July 31, 2013 at 1:44 am

Ugh, domestic air travel is like a leeetle taste of hell. Every time. If it’s any consolation, he was probably an awkward fellow from his youth, never properly instructed on the art of interacting with a beautiful lady.
Jenny recently posted..A Church for Gay PeopleMy Profile

Sarah July 31, 2013 at 3:33 am

I don’t like flying at all, and avoid it. But if someone was mean to me added to my flying nerves would cause a probable total meltdown.

I love the picture of you and Jen. I found your blog through her recent post about meeting up with you. :)
Sarah recently posted..There is no prescription except JesusMy Profile

Rosie July 31, 2013 at 6:26 am

What a jerk! And covering up his name tag every time he passed your row? Ridiculous. I would have straight up asked for his name and written it down somewhere conspicuous while glaring at him and then never followed through on my threat to report him…
Rosie recently posted..Pants-Free July – In SummaryMy Profile

Susan July 31, 2013 at 8:57 am

Really, you had to show me shoes?? Totally adorable shoes?? After I just spoke the “I’m going to wear what I’ve already go in my closet” vow??? Love the photos – what a joy to get to hang out with Jen!! Glad you’re home safe!!
Susan recently posted..What We’re Reading Wednesday + Five (Point Five) Favorites = Double the LoveMy Profile

Claudia July 31, 2013 at 10:22 am

Try to forget the horrible Rick as soon as possible. I have had my encounter with rude, mean, people. I was upset for days because I regret not stooping down their level, but we have to pick our battles. Super happy to hear that you had so much fun and pray for Rick that he stops being sooooo miserable!

Lindsay Loves July 31, 2013 at 11:03 am

Those *are* cute shoes! They look sassy with the wedge but also sturdy for mom-walking (or running, whatevs).

Also, how is that your *mother*? You could be sisters!
Lindsay Loves recently posted..Breaking Open Revelation (Review: “The Lamb’s Supper”)My Profile

Kris July 31, 2013 at 1:19 pm

You totally need to complain to Delta. The fact that he kept covering his name tag shows that he was targeting you and KNEW he was in the wrong. Meanie. Here’s the link to Delta Customer Service…! :) http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/support/talk-to-us/customer-care-offices.html

Lisa July 31, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Talk about horrible customer service or even common courtesy! Why couldn’t he have just calmly stated they had a policy about helping with bags and left it at that? He would’ve had me crying for sure.
Anyways, looks like you had an awesome trip, and those shoes are too cute!

Mamabearjd July 31, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Maybe I should have phrased my prayer differently. I asked for all the mean people to be silenced. Maybe it happened to you so that we can all pray for Rick to adjust his attitude, or maybe we should pray for everyone else crossing his path. What a jerk. Isn’t it heartbreaking when your older kids realize some people are hateful just because of family size? That was exactly the kind of thing I wanted you to not experience! And your mom looks so young. Lucky!

Dorian Speed July 31, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Sometimes I think the reason the Lord has not seen fit to make me famous is that I would be so tempted, in mean-flight-attendant-ish situations, to go all Reese Witherspoon and intone, “do you know who I am?” Which would probably backfire. So I applaud you for not losing your cool, and shame on Rick from Delta.
Dorian Speed recently posted..So Much For Stickball Why I Changed My Mind About Kids’ SportsMy Profile

Katrina July 31, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Oh my goodness, I would have cried, too! Aren’t attendants supposed to be smiley?? Your trip to Texas makes me excited for ours in a few days! Teeex-Meeex!

Melissa D August 1, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Yes — please contact Delta and point them to your blog post. That is seriously bad behavior. Because there is company policy that someone regretfully points to and suggests ways to help, and there is company policy that someone points to as his reason for acting like an ass. An UNGENTLEMANLY ASS.

What’s funny is that kids nail it, every time.

I hate conflict, but if you don’t talk to Delta, it will happen again to the next girl.

Jennifer @ Little Silly Goose August 5, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I had a similar experience with a flight attendant being ridiculously rude and unhelpful when I was traveling for work while pregnant. It is the worst! So sorry! At least it looks like your trip was awesome otherwise. Great shoes!
Jennifer @ Little Silly Goose recently posted..Jenn’s Tips (Vol. 4): How to breastfeed and be a working momMy Profile