by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on August 20, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

This week’s favorites? A mishmash of this and that…

A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams

A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams

I know summer is drawing to a close but if you can squeeze one last beach read into the season let it be this one. I had a feeling that I’d like it when I saw that my favorite beach read novelist had endorsed it and I was right. It’s feel good reading at its finest. I loved it.

Hollywood Fashion Tape

Hollywood Fashion Tape

This is not the first time I’ve recommended that every woman on the face of the earth should have a tin of Hollywood Fashion Tape in her purse and it probably won’t be the last. This stuff has saved me so many times it’s not even funny. Plus, the tin is cute which is of the utmost importance, no?

Dark Chocolate, Nuts, and Sea Salt Kind Bars

Dark Chocolate, Nuts, and Sea Salt Kind Bars

Hot breakfasts are the bomb diggity but it’s just not a hot breakfast kind of season at Casa Lord. Enter Dark Chocolate, Nuts, and Sea Salt Kind Bars. These little packages of goodness save me on busy mornings. You know, now that I’m typing this up, I don’t think this is the first time I’ve recommended Kind bars, either. That’s okay. They’re delish and totally deserving of an encore.

Aussie Aussome Volume Shampoo Aussie Aussome Volume Shampoo

If I’ve linked to this before, too, just don’t tell me. This shampoo really is awesome (or aussome), though. Once upon a time I was at a salon getting my hair styled when the guy doing my hair started to flat iron it. Seconds later I watched in horror as smoke billowed up above us. I was a little mystified (once I’d determined that my hair was not, in fact, on fire) because he said it came from wax residue and I really don’t use much hair product. As it turns out, a lot of shampoos have wax in them and over time that wax builds up and weighs your hair down. He recommended Aussie Aussome Volume because it is wax-free and I’ve been a happy camper ever since.

Gracie Tea Set Tray

Gracie Tea Set Tray

Gracie Girl is not yet mine but she will be soon, I hope. Wouldn’t she make for the prettiest little decorative addition? I just love her.

Favorite away, foxy foxes.

Britt August 20, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Love #5! May be a must for you :)
Britt recently posted..ZooMy Profile

TheReluctantWidow August 20, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I love Kind bars! There are almost zero gluten-free granola bars and most that are GF aren’t very appetizing. But Kind bars are fantastic. They are my “go to” snack or quickie breakfast. That chocolate, sea salt, caramel looks like a new flavor. I will have to try it. My current favorite is the Dark Chocolate and Cherry.
TheReluctantWidow recently posted..How to Treat Young WidowsMy Profile

Sarah Doll August 21, 2013 at 12:17 am

That tea set tray is adorable!! I may just add it to my wish list. :)
Sarah Doll recently posted..Favorite Cold RemediesMy Profile

Lisa August 21, 2013 at 8:07 am

Putting #1 on my to read list! And I never knew that about wax in shampoo! Good to know.

Kristen @ St Monica's Bridge August 21, 2013 at 9:17 am

I just had my first ever Kind bar. It was a freebie donated by the company in a goodie bag for Surfers Healing in Ocean City, MD. I got an almond and coconut one in our bag. No one else would eat it, so I did. Wow, it’s like an Almond Joy without the chocolate. Can’t wait to try the other flavors. Love how healthy they are, good tasting and they support an awesome non-profit like Surfers Healing which is the day every year Shelby lives for. It’s her birthday, Christmas and every other good day wrapped into one. God Bless the good folks behind Kind!
Kristen @ St Monica’s Bridge recently posted..Five FavoritesMy Profile

Hallie @ Moxie Wife August 21, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I love this! From everything you’ve said, Surfers Healing sounds like a remarkable organization.

Dianna @ The Kennedy Adventures August 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hallie,

Tell me how you use the fashion tape? I’m guessing it might work better on my wrap dresses that seem to always be a wee bit too low cut — I use a safety pin now, but have a hard time ‘getting it right’.

D
Dianna @ The Kennedy Adventures recently posted..Five Favorite Ways to Organize Homeschool SuppliesMy Profile

Hallie @ Moxie Wife August 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Most of the time I use it to secure the gap between two buttons on my tops. According to Amazon, though, you can:

“Close blouse gaps – Stop slipping bust lines – Tack up drooping hems – Anchor peeking bra straps – Secure shoulder pads – Add body jewelry – Tack shoulder pads – Anchor a wrap skirt – Stop gapping blouse fronts – Keep scarves in place – Keep belt ends flat – Anchor revealing Neckline”

Kari August 21, 2013 at 3:25 pm

The hollywood fashion tape sounds really helpful. I’ll be looking into that. As for the shampoo, I’ve tried Aussie in the past and it did weigh my hair down. Is it just the volume shampoo that doesn’t have the wax? Maybe they’ve improved it since I last used it or maybe it’s just my hair….I have a lot of trouble with shampoo weighing it down :(

Francine August 21, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Hollywood Fashion Tape is one of the best inventions ever! I can’t believe you had a hairdresser recommend a cheap brand – I’ll have to try that one!
Francine recently posted..Grace’s FavesMy Profile

Christina August 21, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Hollywood Fashion Tape is great! I use it during ballroom dance competition to make sure there are no wardrobe malfunctions!

Kelsey August 21, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I love Kind Bars!!! I buy boxes of them from vitacost because my husband and I are obsessed. So good! And I am right there with you on the double stick tape! Essential! It is like duct tape, can fix more then you think :)
Kelsey recently posted..Hormones and HairMy Profile

Erika @ Simplemama August 21, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Dear Hallie,
Hi, my name is Erika and I’ve read your blog off and on through the years (and love it!) and finally decided to join in on your 5 Favorites today since I had 5 favorite smartphone apps I’ve been wanting to share – it seemed like the right time.
Thanks for hosting us!
In Christ, Erika Marie
Erika @ Simplemama recently posted..My postpartum body is not ugly. {I am beautiful.}My Profile

Beth Anne August 21, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Maybe that is why I have issues when I straighten my hair!! I will have to stock up on some Aussie when it goes on sale.
Beth Anne recently posted..Back to School Backpack #PayItForward Event!My Profile

Micaela @ California to Korea August 22, 2013 at 3:37 am

I need that shampoo! My hair is so limp these days. And pardon my ignorance, but what is Hollywood tape used for?
Micaela @ California to Korea recently posted..Tardy TakesMy Profile

GeekLady August 22, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I meant to write this yesterday, but I had a long long day at work and was so tired when I got home. But I drafted it, and have been sitting here at my desk cackling like mad as I wrote it today!
GeekLady recently posted..5 Feminine FavoritesMy Profile