by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on September 4, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

A Homemade Life: The Blessings of Cooking, Crafting, and Coming Together

A Homemade Year: The Blessings of Cooking, Crafting, and Coming Together

Oh, girls. This book. This book. It is such a treasure.

Sister Madeleine of Paraclete Press sweetly sent A Homemade Year to me a while back but I only just had a chance to give it a good look this past week while planning our new school year. I’m kicking myself for not cracking it open sooner.

You know how sometimes you run across a book that just touches your soul and makes you want to give God a bear hug and then serve him a giant slice of homemade pie? That’s this book.

Basically it’s a book about celebrating the liturgical seasons and instilling your home with rhythm and tradition but I have several books that fit that description and none have touched me the way this one did. Truly, it’s been a long time since I’ve savored a book the way I’m savoring this one. It’s full of breathtakingly beautiful pictures, thought-provoking personal stories, and inspiring, lyrical reflections.  It’s the perfect book for fall, actually.

It’s so good that I kind of what to insist that each and every one of you purchase a copy. Would that be so wrong?

(Quick note for my Catholic readers: the author is a Protestant so you will need to adjust some of her suggestions to make them follow Catholic tradition.)

50 Fun Fall Date Ideas

fallcouple

Speaking of fall, can you believe it’s almost upon us? That’s just crazy talk. But it is, and The Dating Divas are ready as always with a bunch of fun, fall date ideas! What would we do without those girls?

Shabby Cottage Chic Wire Market Basket

basket

Don’t you just hate it when you spot something and instantaneously fall in love with it but know that you probably shouldn’t buy it? I saw this basket recently and immediately knew that it would be perfect on my kitchen table but alas, $38 for a wire basket probably wouldn’t be the most prudent purchase I’ve ever made. I’m hoping I can find something similar at a local antique shop, though. Charleston secondhand shops are to die for.

Shabby Cottage Chic Metal Desk Clock

clock

Are you noticing a theme here, girls? I’m all about lovely time-worn things these days (no pun intended). Flawless things don’t stay flawless for long in our lively home so maybe it’s a self-defense mechanism. ;)

Mason Jar Sippers

28476166_100_b

Be. Still. My. Heart. That is all.

Kisses, cuties!

Jenna@CallHerHappy September 4, 2013 at 12:25 am

Ha! We were at lunch today, and Ellen’s drink came in one of those sippers. I secretly wanted to stow it in my purse and leave with it. So adorable.
Jenna@CallHerHappy recently posted..Starting Your Own BlogMy Profile

Bobbi @ revolution of love September 4, 2013 at 2:42 am

You got me so excited about the book, I ordered a copy. :-) 3&4- cute finds. I admire your restraint. (Unlike my book.) 5- love those! My sister is doing something similar for her country chic wedding. :-)
Bobbi @ revolution of love recently posted..Meatless Meals (Vol 2): Minestrone SoupMy Profile

Patty September 4, 2013 at 7:05 am

That book sounds awesome!!
I saw that link too on Pinterest from the Dating Diva’s, they have some of the best idea’s around:)
Patty recently posted..Skinny Raspberry Lemonade CakeMy Profile

Stefanie September 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

You pretty much sold me on A Homemade Year! Done!
Stefanie recently posted..Tori Harris: Music Missionary {August’s Dreamer in the Spotlight}My Profile

Erica Saint September 4, 2013 at 9:57 am

That book has been on my wishlist for months! You gave it such a great review that now I have to get it. :)

Amy Caroline September 4, 2013 at 10:54 am

Running to check out that book now!
Amy Caroline recently posted..More Pillowcases and a SkirtMy Profile

Jeni September 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Hallie, there is a reason why you are the queen of 5 favs and I’m a novice ;)

I mean my beer find is pretty sweet, but your favs are excellent.

I really needed the date ideas link, so thanks especially for that one. I would never think of any of that on my own.
Jeni recently posted..Corporal and Spiritual Work in ProgressMy Profile

Kat Crow September 4, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I have seen this awesome mason sipping jars and my hubby said he would make me some! They are so lovely! That book sounds wonderful, I will have to check it out.
Kat Crow recently posted..Quick Takes (13) Vacation Bible School, Charting and FastingMy Profile

Maia September 4, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I definitely want to check out A Homemade Life!
Maia recently posted..Five FavesMy Profile

Molly September 4, 2013 at 2:07 pm

One of the 5 favorite posters linked to something I wrote – I feel famous now! =)
Molly recently posted..Preparing the Pantry: Quick and Easy Vegetables to PreserveMy Profile

Sarah O @ Two Os Plus More September 4, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Love love love that Market Basket… adding it to my wish list now.

And that book is going to be added, too, after *that* review. =)
Sarah O @ Two Os Plus More recently posted..Out of the Mouth of DomMy Profile

Bonnie September 4, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I got a review copy of A Homemade Year, too. (I still need to write my review! eek!) I will throw this out for people looking into it. Hallie is 100% on the mark about the gorgeous pictures and the author’s strong talent for writing. I am also really enjoying it. But if you’re looking for a Catholic book this is not it. The author is a Protestant Christian, though she borrows from Catholic traditions and the book follows a similar liturgical calendar. So, for example, she encourages an Advent wreath but chooses her own colors, symbolism, and writes her own prayers. You can definitely borrow some of her ideas, – I will be! – but again, this is not a book by a Roman Catholic. I’m not trying to persuade anyone from buying the book, I just wanted to share that information because if I was buying the book I’d want to know it. :)
Bonnie recently posted..Seven Quick TakesMy Profile

Beth September 5, 2013 at 10:57 am

Bonnie,
Thank you for that as I was wondering if the the author was writing from a RC perspective. I still am interested, but it is good to know.
Beth

Aria September 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm

oooh i can see why it was hard to resist that adorable wire basket! i’ve been on the hunt for an affordable version what feels like eons haha :)
Aria recently posted..Five FavesMy Profile