by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on September 17, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

SMASH Books

I have always wanted to be a scrapbooker. Not the kind that has piles of beautiful scrapbook paper and special scissors and all that (I could never be that organized) but the kind that has a sketch pad tucked into her purse and occasionally glues memorable things inside along with beautifully scripted reflections and quotes and all that. I want to be a messy, spontaneous scrapbooker, I guess. I am 34-years-old and have yet to achieve this dream but I’m not giving up hope. Know why? Because clearly the people at SMASH feel me. And want to help. Isn’t that sweet of them? The next time you see me, be sure to ask about my SMASH book. There’s no way this could fail. (And watch the video above. It’s adorable.)

(HT: the cutest of all cutie pies, Kara!)

Lined Paper Notepad by Bomisch

Lined Paper Notepad by Bomisch

I’m so in love with this Lined Paper Notepad I can’t even tell you. Were it in my possession right now I’d be getting all the things done. I just know it. Instead I’m going to keep reading the Mama Knows, Honeychild archives because Heather feels me and my Charlie is teething and never sleeping pain. And because I am a girl without a Bomisch notepad.

(HT: sweet Lindsey of The Pleated Poppy.)

Laura Lanz-Frolio and her Mobile Vintage Store

Laura Lanz-Frolio and her Mobile Vintage Store

How adorable is this chica? And how brilliant is this idea? A mobile vintage shoppe? LOVE. She has an Etsy shop, too, but oh, you have no idea how much I want to travel to New York to meet her. For now I guess I’ll just have to live vicariously through her pictures on Instagram. Le sigh.

7 Ways Your Grandmother Dressed Better Than You

“It’s a common problem when discussing vintage fashion: Just how different clothing was “back in the day” versus now. If you’re like me, you nearly start to turn into a one-off version of Andy Rooney, grumbling about the sloppy hems, plastic buttons and the rarity of natural fabrics in today’s shops.

Such was the case when I chatted with the fabulous Janie Bryant (@JanieBryant), who is the lucky person who gets to dress the cast of “Mad Men.” She’s not an Andy Rooney type — in fact, Bryant has the gift of being able to discuss vintage fashion through the context of the era, rather than through a lens of judgment.

“The priorities were different. I do love that about the period [the sixties] — people did dress for occasions, up until the 1990s. You’d dress for the theater, the grocery store, for dinner,” she says. “It wasn’t as casual as it is today. The priority today is more about comfort than it is on glamour.”

From my perch, I do think that, on the whole, people who grew up in the eras of my grandmother and mother had more style, despite us being more fashion-conscious today. Here are a seven key ways the fashion of our mothers and grandmothers’ eras differs from the present…”

You can read the rest of this fine article right over here! Much delicious food for thought.

Meri Meri Party Supplies

Meri Meri Party Supplies

So, we have five birthdays and one anniversary to celebrate between August and October. Few people love hosting parties more than I, but even for me, that’s kind of a lot. By the time we hit birthday #3 this season, I knew I needed a little help to create the magical wonderland that I knew my soon-to-be 3-year-old had been dreaming about. Enter Meri Meri, my most favorite of all party supply designers. Aren’t these dancing princesses precious? Yeah, I had to invest a bit more than I usually like to, but it was worth it. I got a little break from creating decorations and my sweet Zelie was over the moon. Oh, I do love you so, Meri Meri.

Take care, peaches!

Katrina September 18, 2013 at 12:06 am

Loved that article. I’ve been pondering a lot of those points lately, but will I ever do anything about my clothing?? I hope so. Love the Meri Meri decorations for Zelie’s bday, too. I am impressed! Five birthdays plus one anniversary sure is a lot, but it sure is a sign of many blessings!

Mrs. K September 18, 2013 at 4:44 am

Hallie,
I just adore your site. I’m a week from having a fourth baby and your posts are distracting me from my lovely discomfort. I love the Smash book idea – I kept one when my husband and I started dating and I swoon at the memories when I go back and look at it. I also surprise myself by keeping little momentos in pockets of bags, drawers, and taped in the silliest places. I open a bag from a season past to use again and inside the tiny front pocket, I find a photo of my hubby in his West Point uniform. Or I open my old lawyer coach bag and find the NY Giants ticket from one of our earliest dates. Or I open my cabinet door and find a Lyle Lovett or David Gray or Jim Gaffigan ticket stub and smile remembering the date with the husband who still loves and spoils mr after all these years. My smash book – spread out all over my life so to speak. Praying your baby and you get some relief. It’s 4am here and Our Lord has given me insomnia preparing me for baby once again. Isn’t it grand?
Mrs. K recently posted..Teaching Modest DressMy Profile

Lisa September 18, 2013 at 6:45 am

That book sounds very intriguing. And that vintage store and party supplies both look adorable!
Lisa recently posted..Five Favorites: Style, Spaces, and Austen ParaphernaliaMy Profile

Cathy September 18, 2013 at 10:11 am

I love Smashbooks! I have been scrapbooking for years (I consider it “recording my family’s history”), but I have a Smashbook for my “personal” scrapbook/journal. It has been very freeing to just “smash” things into my book!

Kat Crow September 18, 2013 at 10:34 am

Love, love, love the smash book idea! My friends and I used to have something similar in high school, it was sketch book that we would pass around and write to each other and put pictures and memories in it. I also love the idea of a mobile vintage shop! Yes, I do agree that my grandmother and great grandmother had much more style and quality clothing than we do today. Oh how I wish I could go back in time and tell my grandma to save all her clothing for me!
Kat Crow recently posted..General Update (No, I couldn’t think of a better title)My Profile

Ellen Thrifty & Chic Mom September 18, 2013 at 11:36 am

Such great finds, I love Meri Meri I have bought them off of Zulily before way cheaper that way! And that notepad swoon! And oh how I need a SmashBook and I want them in bulk for my girls as they grow!!!!

Cate September 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I think that this is my favorite of your favs yet! So many fantastic finds. I’m finding it very hard not to want. all. the things!
Cate recently posted..Five Favorites: Vol. 20My Profile

Jennifer H September 18, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Loved this one! I’m going to come back when I’m at home (my work computer prevents me from seeing a lot), but I saw those Meri Meri decorations and thought, “They look very similar to what Land of Nod just started carrying.” (I used to work for LON so I stalk them when I know new things are coming out.) Sure enough, it is! Adorable decorations! :D
Jennifer H recently posted..Our Love Story Part 2My Profile

Britt September 18, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Love this notepad! And, that vintage store – brilliant idea!
Britt recently posted..Five FavoritesMy Profile

Jessica September 18, 2013 at 4:57 pm

LOVE all your five favs! My mom got our kids into SMASH books and they love making them just as much as me. I love their video. It’s intriguing, but simplistic. It gives me the confidence to get my scrapbooks/smashbooks/babybooks what ever photo project I have going on and get it done. Anything goes.
Jessica recently posted..lard, leaves, little pumpkins, loaves of bread, lovely ladiesMy Profile

Maia September 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I drool over all the little trailers I see these days!
Maia recently posted..Five FavoritesMy Profile

J.R. Baldwin September 19, 2013 at 12:27 am

I have so many high-high-highest hopes about scrapbooking…
J.R. Baldwin recently posted..Five Favorites – In Vino Veritas! EditionMy Profile

Heather September 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Aw Hallie! Thanks for the love! I hope this weekend is a better one for these teething babies. I’ll be praying for you guys. ps LOVE the Smash books! I def want one now.

Mrs. K September 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I tried linking up but was unsuccessful so Im putting it here. :) I’m too preggo to waddle to the computer to fix it. Love love love your linkups.

Mrs. K recently posted..Five FavoritesMy Profile