by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on October 16, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

On Being a Wife

“My mother has learned many lessons since his death, but the major one learned was about being the wife she wished she would have been. She didn’t understand many things about him until he was gone. Her grief over that one aspect was almost unbearable. I asked her today to write a little of her memoirs in regards to her marriage. Her wisdom of 56 years of life, 35 years of marriage and 10 children is nothing to be ignored. I have an entire Rubbermaid container full of her letters and advice written to me. They are treasures. I have kept every single letter.

Below is her advice regarding marriage AFTER his death…”

This post, written by Lindsay’s mother, is one of the most beautiful posts about marriage that I’ve ever read. Take a few minutes and soak up her wisdom. You’ll be better for it. I know I am.

All Dressed Up Heel by Seychelles

All Dressed Up Heel

Swoon, swoon, swoon, swoon, swoon.

10 Tried-and-True Decorating Rules

lindsay-bierman-m

Lots of good tips (thank you, Mr. Bierman) but I think I love the last piece of advice most of all:

“That said, I usually advise Southern women, who always have a certain flair, to be bold and take risks. I’ve learned this, too, from my mistakes: Happy accidents can make the room!”

New Baby Smell is Real

“If you’ve ever been around a baby, you may have noticed a distinctly pleasant odor wafting from it. It’s not baby powder, or scented wipes, or Johnson’s baby shampoo — but it’s also not, as you might have previously thought, a hallucination. A new study published in Frontiers in Psychology confirms that new-baby smell is real.

In a study of 30 women — half of whom had recently given birth, and half of whom had never given birth — all reacted to smells of newborn babies (taken from pajamas) with the same dopamine releases triggered by eating, ingesting cocaine, or similar “reward-inducing” behaviors…”

That sounds about right! Don’t you just love that smell?

But also? Of course it’s real. What a silly study. Is there really someone out there who put their money on ‘hallucination’?

Sleep

Is it cheating to leave you with ‘sleep’ for my fifth favorite? This baby boy of mine is all love and no sleep and my bed is calling to me. So, goodnight (or good morning), sweet friends!

Love!

Kat Crow October 16, 2013 at 8:58 am

I am love those heels!!!
Kat Crow recently posted..Five Faves (Vol. 1)My Profile

Kat Crow October 16, 2013 at 8:59 am

I meant I love those heels! Haha :)
Kat Crow recently posted..Five Faves (Vol. 1)My Profile

Erika Marie @ Simplemama October 16, 2013 at 10:24 am

I’m so glad you posted that about the baby smells! I knew it! After our baby was born last year, I loved smelling him. It sounds primal but sometimes I’d just hold him close and sniff him in. It made me feel so happy. And it wasn’t because of any scents in his shampoo – it was because of him! I theorized there were probably chemicals released in his smell that triggered these happy feelings and figured it was probably just another – out of many – way to help regulate my hormones and keep the postpartum blues regulated. It’s nice to see I’m not the only one who’s thought of this and experienced this. Smell your babies mamas! :)
Erika Marie @ Simplemama recently posted..Is Praying for the Poor “Enough”?My Profile

Mary October 16, 2013 at 11:00 am

I love that post by Lindsey’s mother!
Mary recently posted..Five FavoritesMy Profile

Colleen Martin October 16, 2013 at 11:02 am

I am fascinated with smells because for some reason, I have a really good sense of smell. Well it’s not so good when it’s a bad thing I’m smelling!

I remember learning that we are sexually attracted to our husband based on their smell without even realizing it, and that our father’s smell would have the opposite effect. Makes sense.

The most interesting part is that ALL newborns smell good to us, not just our own, so it must be some sort of “protecting the weak in our society” disposition that is being triggered.
Colleen Martin recently posted..Because Mom is NOT a JobMy Profile

Kelsey October 16, 2013 at 11:20 am

Number 1 is seriously my favorite thing, and something i totally needed to read as I was thinking about how being a mother has really changed being a wife. But that just really put things into perspective!

Oh the baby smell, my daughter still has it and I am obsessed! I am constantly sniffing her. But I agree with you…was that really something we all didn’t already know? haha
Kelsey recently posted..Pumpkin Picking at the Reindeer FarmMy Profile

Katherine October 16, 2013 at 2:13 pm

#1: So, so lovely.

#4: so cool! :)
Katherine recently posted..Does Jesus Have a Superman Shirt?My Profile

Ashley October 16, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for sharing #1 – it was just what I needed to read. BUT, as a first-time mom to a now four month old, I have to ask – how do you keep your husband first with a baby? I’m really struggling to figure that one out. Thanks!

Lynn October 17, 2013 at 12:48 am

Love #2, but can you nurse in it?

Amy @ Finer Things October 27, 2013 at 11:36 am

Hallie! Worlds collide. My jaw dropped when I clicked over to Lindsay’s post. I know her! She and my sister are dear friends from college. What a blessing that was to me today!
Amy @ Finer Things recently posted..What do you like about your bed?My Profile