by Hallie @ Moxie Wife on November 20, 2013

Five Favorites, hosted at MoxieWife.com

(Quick note: There will not be a Five Favorites link-up next week because…Thanksgiving!!! I hope you all have a blissful holiday!)

Something Other than God

something-other-than-god-fulwiler2

“All that we call history…[is] the long, terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.” – C.S. Lewis

The title and cover of Jen’s book have been revealed!!!

Jen was sweet enough to give me a sneak peek of the Something Other than God cover recently and when I opened up her email and first caught site of it, I actually cried. Not just because I’m proud of her, but because this triumph of a cover could not possibly be more perfect for her manuscript. I cannot wait for you all to read it. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and most importantly, it made me fall even more deeply in love with my God. It’s such a gift of a book, I don’t even know how to put it into words. Come quickly, March 2014!

Clinique Airbrush Concealer

airbrush

I stopped by my local Clinique counter last weekend to pick some new powder and while I was there the sweet gal working there introduced me to their Airbrush Concealer. Oh my word, girls –this stuff is incredible. The next time you pass by Clinique you simply must get them to show you! I was blown away by its effectiveness. You will love it.

Victorian Secrets

Victorian Secrets

“On Sarah A. Chrisman’s twenty-ninth birthday, her husband, Gabriel, presented her with a corset. The material and the design were breathtakingly beautiful, but her mind immediately filled with unwelcome views. Although she had been in love with the Victorian era all her life, she had specifically asked her husband not to buy her a corset—ever. She’d heard how corsets affected the female body and what they represented, and she wanted none of it.

However, Chrisman agreed to try on the garment . . . and found it surprisingly enjoyable. The corset, she realized, was a tool of empowerment—not oppression. After a year of wearing a corset on a daily basis, her waist had gone from thirty-two inches to twenty-two inches, she was experiencing fewer migraines, and her posture improved. She had successfully transformed her body, her dress, and her lifestyle into that of a Victorian woman—and everyone was asking about it.”

I haven’t read the book so I can’t comment on its quality or the conclusions she comes to, but it looks like a fascinating read! Her Before and Afters are pretty compelling, too. While I highly doubt that I’ll be donning a corset anytime soon, I’m always intrigued when people stumble upon unique ways to enact positive change in their lives.

50 Ways to Talk to God

“Christianity is so much more than a list of rules and pious practices, friends. It’s a relationship, a love like none you’ve ever known before. It’s the meaning of life, the God of the universe made man for you. Please don’t be content with empty prayer and an unabandoned heart. Ask for more. He always answers that prayer.”

Each and every person I’ve ever met who knows Meg (the author of this post) has nothing but the kindest things to say about her. She sounds like such a treasure. I do hope I get to meet her one day. In the meantime, I’m going to print out this insanely good list of ways to deepen your relationship with God and benefit from her wisdom.

How to Kiss Properly

Kiss

How cute is this? So cute.

Take care, sweet peas!

Janine Doyle November 20, 2013 at 12:14 am

That corset article was fascinating!

Maia November 20, 2013 at 2:20 am

I need to go check out the Clinique counter for that and a good face wash! And I am beyond excited for Jen’s book!
Maia recently posted..Five Favorites: The Untested EditionMy Profile

Kendra November 20, 2013 at 2:57 am

Your #3 made me think of this post at Epbot about wearing a corset to help with menstrual cramps. I’ve never tried it myself, but the anecdotal evidence seems compelling!
Kendra recently posted..Birth Story Week: #4, in which me having a baby is the least of our
worries
My Profile

Jenny November 20, 2013 at 10:39 am

I saw those kissing pics on your pinterest yesterday and I swooned. Wouldn’t it be so adorable to recreate for a anniversary gift or Christmas card? (not to mention humiliating to future teenage children) love it, you’re such a romantic Hallie.

Francine November 20, 2013 at 11:17 am

I’m very intrigued about the corset article. I never would have expected that it would help her so much. And of course you had to talk about Jen’s book – I don’t know how I can wait til spring to read it!
Francine recently posted..Five Favorites and What I’m Reading WednesdayMy Profile

Juliana November 20, 2013 at 11:30 am

I’ve been reading that Victorian Secrets book all week and it is great! She is a bit bracing at times, and she doesn’t suffer fools, but I’m really enjoying her journey. Planning a write up on my own blog when I’m finished.

Rakhi @ The Pitter Patter Diaries November 20, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I’m intrigued by the corset, though I’m not sure I’m running to get one anytime soon. Intriguing, nonetheless! Oh, and I cannot wait for Jen’s book, but I’m guessing I am in the company of many others on that account. :)
Rakhi @ The Pitter Patter Diaries recently posted..Celebrating the Feminine GeniusMy Profile

Erika Marie November 21, 2013 at 12:22 am

That corset article is so interesting. I wonder if using “Spanx” could have the same effect. Though I think that corset is much more beautiful to behold.
I’d like to skip over to March, get Jen’s book, and come back and read it during the holiday “break”.
Thanks for hosting!
Erika Marie recently posted..5 Favorite Thanksgiving Meal EssentialsMy Profile

Erika Marie November 21, 2013 at 12:24 am

P.s I love that quote on number four. I’ll have to go back and read that soon.
Erika Marie recently posted..The Sinner’s Guide to Natural Family Planning {A GIVEAWAY! & Review}My Profile

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy November 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Victorian Secrets? Oh my my. I am so curious. (Also, what a fabulous title!)
Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy recently posted..The 2013 Kid Lit guide is here! (FREE for you!)My Profile

bobbi @ revolution of love November 21, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I love #5, even though my back hurts just looking at that “don’t” photo. LOL
bobbi @ revolution of love recently posted..Theme Thursday: Shaming & {pretty, happy, funny, real} vol. 80: The “I’m ashamed to say…” EditionMy Profile

Amy Caroline November 21, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Oh my goodness! The kiss is such a hoot!
Amy Caroline recently posted..{P,H,F,R} Raking Leaves & Staking WoodMy Profile

Dorothy November 22, 2013 at 1:30 am

All I could think of when I saw the last picture was this quote:

“Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
-Albert Einstein

Man’s a genius.
Dorothy recently posted..Five Favorites: Pre-Baby LuxuriesMy Profile

Micaela @ California to Korea November 22, 2013 at 2:02 am

Cannot. Wait. to read Jen’s book. Cannot. What if I die first?! March is so far away!

I need a corset. Stat.
Micaela @ California to Korea recently posted..No Shame: A Love Letter on Theme ThursdayMy Profile

Elisa November 29, 2013 at 8:36 pm

YAY! So happy to be back here, FINALLY. I have been so out of the blogging scene for a while, but I missed your terrible. I am SO excited for Jen’s book!! How exciting!
Elisa recently posted..Around the HouseMy Profile

Jeannine November 30, 2013 at 8:35 am

You have the best stuff ever! Need Jen’s book…now! Need the concealer! It’s been on my list! And now, I *think* I need a corset, too!
Jeannine recently posted..Oh, No I Will NOT “See!”My Profile